Best diesel additive

mattyb6

Reaction score
My pd130 has 164k on the clock.

only problem is bad mpg over the last few months.

i want to put an injector cleaner/ fuel additive, to help flush some of the crap from the system.

i want to know what you guys are using inc price and where to buy from.

thanks

Not sure if any of them work really. Most people poo poo them..
Ive recently used a STP injector cleaner and I currently have a bottle of redex swishing around my tank.
Whether either do anything though...??

I've used Redex before, I don't know if they work. But for the sake of roughly £10, I thought might aswell.
Then if it work good, If not, it's only a £10 that's gone haha

I paid £2 for a bottle of redex from Tesco which does 2 full tanks loads!
Did you buy a gallon of the stuff or summat?

The stuff I used before was years ago on my old polo ha
hand I got the Redex given by a friend

I heard a few people using 2-stroke, I think il pop to the car shop tommorrow and see hat they have

Ive got some 2 stroke oil, it didnt do anything in my BMW.
Supposedly you should stay away from red coloured 2 stroke oil just in case you get stopped and diesel tested for red diesel..

Haha, I never thought about that. And it will be just my luck

A good long thrash on the motorway can help

It gets thrashed few times a months down the a1 or a19.

1st few times kicked out loads of smoke which I knew would happen.

its getting vagcom'd on Thursday by Paul (black avant on ch's)

Thn weekend it's getting new stat and sender, with a bottle of additive.

Hoepfuuly this will bring some mpg's back :)

Millers is good stuff , full tank and double dose to get the process started

I bought a bottle of Wynn's today just because it was on the shelf in front of me and was only £5.99!

Going to empty the lot into a full tank tonight and then wait for nothing to happen.

I'm going to try diesel rhino..
Its been getting some very good reviews on ukmkivs.net and the t4 owners websites. It's meant to make standard diesel better than premium diesel..
M

I use Deisel Rhino, and if you don't notice the difference I'd be surprised. The first tank of fuel is a 3ml to 1 litre initial dosage which is where the system, injectors etc gets purged and cleaned. Then is 2 to 1 then 1 to 1 for the third tank and thats enough to feel the difference. Its both a treatment but an ongoing long term solution which gives premium results for less money than than premium fuel plus a whole host of other benefits.

Is this diesel rhino readily available at the like of halfrauds and motor factors? And if so how much? Like the previous post I've heard a lot of good things about it. I'm very happy with how my car runs on v power diesel or if I can't get the v power I always fill up with no other than shell diesel (have always used nothing but shell fuels) buti can't see it hurting to try some rhino out.

Nice one, cheers for the link, think I'll give that a go!

Ive heard Diesel Rhino being used on various forums. With positive feedback.
Might have to grab a bottle myself..

I decided yes il give it a go.
I went for the 0.5litres at £18 + £4.50 p&p
Will treat 500 litres of diesel..

My cars on Diesel rhino, with improved mpg, cleaner running, quicker pick up and better starting. So far it's all good treated about 5/6 tanks so far.

Go have a Google about 2 stroke oil.
There's some interesting tests etc.

Ive been running it in my 8P, bumper doses St the start, now down to normal amount.
Still chuck in the off fuel cleaner too, but I don't pay for them :p

The only diesel conditioner I'd recommend would be Forté. If the emissions are high for whatever reason, then this is the silver bullet so-to-speak and used extensively in the trade. Used it with all my TDIs (if worried about emissions) and its never let me down.

For optimum performance, apply straight into the fuel filter. Drive it hard in second and third gear and it will smoke like an E-Class frigate for 10 minutes. When you look in your rear view mirror you will see the plume of soot as you accelerate, which helps clean the injectors, turbo, etc.

On completion, replace the fuel filter and top up with fresh diesel.

Main thing to improve fuel efficiency is thermostat should sit at 90 degrees, tyre pressures are checked weekly, brakes are checked for sticking pistons, and air filter is changed regularly. I use a K&N panel filter and swear the turbo whistles better!

Interesting read about the Diesel Rhino - may have to try some of that!

Ive been using mineral 2 stroke, gtx i think , its red and about £8 a bottle, so £2 a tank. Ive noticed less smoke if any on startup, and certainly less while driving. The car feels a lot healthier to drive.
Vpower diesel still gives the car more poke with less smoke also.
Havent tried rhino yet but may do when the 2stroke runs out!

These treatments are not a one tank wonder fix though, needs to be used in every tank ideally. Also millers stinks like hell and the bottle never closes properly, ive had no problems with oil bottles though!

Had my rhino delivered today so a nice quick delivery.
Looks like water but its very potent! Il try get a tank in tomorrow..
Shall revert with my findings..

I put the Wynn's in the other day and filled with Esso supreme diesel. Noticeably smoother whilst driving! Not sure if that's the cleaner or the premium diesel however... not sure if I can justify filling up with that permanently at £1.569 a litre!!!

Ive been using this Wilko 2 Stroke Engine Oil 600ml at wilko.com for a few tanks recently.
Seemed to tick all the boxes for those who want to try the 2 stroke. Low ash, non synthetic and not red, just incase police think you are running on cherryade (red diesel)
Car is a lot quieter, not sure about fuel consumption yet, and seat of the pants dyno feels like it has more get up and go.
I will keep using it i think.

Are any of these additives more effective than just running the car on Shell V-Power diesel?

Well I'm treating mine to a full tank of vpower tommorrow and I'm going to order a bottle of rhino.

hopefully this will get some results.

Been a while since I had a full tank of v power

Filled up today on Esso standard D.
As it was the first use of Rhino I had to triple up the dosage to start it working.
My advice would be to park up before filling up, get the rhino in then then go on to the station to get the fuel in.
Its in a complicated self fill bottle and takes a while to get the dosage in.. I got half in and gave up. Filled up and then done the rest at home..

I have only done a few miles but do believe it felt smoother and quieter?
Need to give it more time to really bed in first..

Give it a good thrashing up a motorway for a few miles or so, just kick some sh.t out the back.
im cleaning my sticky veins this weekend along with rhino and vpower. So hopefully noticeable difference .

Millers EcoMax is really good i use it all the time now you can pick it up at halfords 12 pounds i think but it will do 5 tanks or more and you will see the difference

I had a really good result with BG244 as a one-off the clean the crud out of the fuel system (its recommended for use at each sevice interval). I do a fair amount of motorway/open-road driving, only ever put in v-power or ultimate diesel, and it still made a noticeable difference.

Be warned, it is horribly noxious stuff, and you will need a funnel to put it in (I cut the bottom off a soda water bottle, coz I spent all my money on fancy fuel for my fancy car :))

Another vote for the Rhino here. Use it in all 3 vehicles A4 , my t4 on veggie and have just started to use on wifes A3 with bio diesel. Defo use it if you use bio or veggie oil as it removes water superbly.
My A4 2.0 tdi noticed the best results. bit more power and wow what the heck happened to MPG, must have needed cleaning out as it jumped after using (could be the more power too lets me leave in high gear more).
They have new range of bottles now so should be less fidlly going to give it a try when i get some more. I always get the big bottle as its good value using it in 3 vehicles.

As above prefer using V-Power, used Millers which made it pump some crap out the back but no noticeable gains. For the cost additives are decent, although haven't experienced them to be mind blowing. Regular and premium fuel differences seem bigger, can hear less engine noise and feel it pick up quicker on premium, again nothing night and day but also enjoy the prospects of longer engine life.

That SeaFoam malarkey looks good, no experience with it but all reviews point to either amazing gains or leaks due to it pulling crap which was plugging hoses/engine, meaning it really does work wonders. May try it in the near future, here's a funny video of it:

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using Millers Eco Max for the last 3 tanks, & it does feel smoother. Forte stuff is good too.
Haven't tried Redex in many years as it never seemed to make any tangible difference.

another vote for the forte
awesomely fantastic stuff , its supposedly trade only but you can get it on ebay
worth doing just before you pop the car in for its test

Reactions: MrBones
Bg244 since using it my 1.9tdi drives loads better