Is it me,or are the door mirrors different on each side???

archemist

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Anyone know if the door mirrors are supposed to be asymetrical? - the caps and base not the mirror glass - i feel a right rodney even raising this!!!

I've just fitted S ally mirrors to my QTdi and in the process (it's a long bimetalic story) replaced the drivers mirror base with one form a b7 and now when i look at them the passenger side is more angled than the dirvers - this is the whole mirror not just the glass within the 'cap'.

I've not noticed this before - when i offer my old b6 mirror base up it looks identical to the one i've just put on?

or is there some way of setting the detent on the base-spring so that they match?

Anyone got any clues? (and it's not april 1st!)

Anyone seen Master Sensei QJ? i'm sure he'll know...
cheers
And

Last edited:
I'm not sure he will......

I'm not aware that they're different, but I'm not sure how you'd check really as they're obviously not interchangeable side to side. I may have misinterpreted what you've said, but if you've replaced the mirror base with one from a B7 and that mirror now sit's differently, that would suggest to me that the base's are different between B6 and B7 which is quite possible.

QJ

thanks for the reply.
the b6 and b7 drivers mirrors i have appear to 'sit' at exactly the same angle but the passenger one sits at a more acute angle.

I'm still investigating but increasingly feel it's just a senior moment:blush:

I know BMW mirrors differ side to side, on is at more of an angle than the other.

I was so anal, I got a LHD set and used one so they were the same!!!!!

Hopefully everyone is now looking at their mirrors going "what's that daft welsh bu**er on about!!"

All except Bimmer drivers who know exactly:think:

thanks
And