Bye bye scratches. (pics added)

Dogtown22

Reaction score
Being in the trade and having this weekend spare I thought its about time to sort my paint work out. Been busy today flatting the car with 1200 grit then moving to 3000 then buffing and finishing with extra fine polish on the buffer. The difference is absolutly amazing. Got half the car done today and going to finish it off tomorrow so will add some pics then. The difference when applying the wax is unbelivable, so easy to apply and wipe off, totally silent too, its almost a pleasure haha

IMG 12891

IMG 12901

Last edited:
Excellent, seems like this is well worth doing. What's your method of "flatting"? It would be good if you could walk us laymen through your process.

I use 1200 grit discs on a D.A (sander) and actually sand the clear coat down, this is the only way to remove deep(ish) scratches, I then repeat the process with a 3000 grit disc to take all the 1200 prep marks out, I then use a fast cutting compound on a compounding buffer head to bring the shine up, I then use a finer buffer head and polish to take all the compounding swirls out (or hologrammes as people know them by) I'd really only recommend doing this if you know what your doing otherwise use a claybar (details are on you tube). My car has never been buffed and some panels have been repainted but never flat and polished. I only brought it in the workshop to do the passenger door as it looked more peeley than the rest of the car but thought what the hell lets go the whole hog.

Well all finished and WOW what a difference, looks like its been resprayed ha. It's took me all weekend but definatly worth it. Just finished it off with a couple of coats of G3 Professional Resin Wax. My neighbous must think I've got a OCD, maybe I have.... :yum:

IMG 12971IMG 12981IMG 13051IMG 13081

That door looks amazing it's almost a mirror finish and your image stands out perfectly. What process needed the masking tape?

It protects the rubber from the buffer head and also stops polish going under it, can be a right PITA to clean off other wise! Less mess to clean off also.

Top work get on detailing world if your not already really want to do mine just never get the time

Would you do mine? lol

Great work!

Reactions: Dogtown22
That looks amazing mate!! I'm seriously considering a da polisher, my paint work needs some serious attention. I joined detailing world recently and love reading stuff on there.