Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 46
  1. #1
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368

    Some more work carried out today *Roof Rails now done*

    Well Im booked in for my window tints on wednesday and in prep i wanted to de chrome the window surrounds I've already de chromed the front grill, badge and rear bumper strip (carbon vinyl) and rear badges (satin black) and now today I've done the window surrounds to match (carbon Vinyl) I've also carbon vinyled the S4 door blades

    Before:







    Carbon vinyled:













    Im thinking i will do the roof rails too but will need to remove them to do this.
    Last edited by dpbayly; 3rd March 2013 at 12:57.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    glenandem's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    528
    looks nice mate,im not a fan of the chrome and ive just got my window surrounds to do too!
    how hard was it and how did you do it?

  4. #3
    crazy88's Avatar
    Loving the anonymity

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,806

    Re: Some more work carried out today

    I want to de-chrome mine, but not so keen on the carbon so I'll probably use plastidip if I do it. Or just plain black vinyl.

    Still loving the car! Looks a beast.


  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    217
    Good work Daz, is that a vinyl wrap?
    If it's got tits or gears it's gonna be expensive.

  6. #5
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by glenandem View Post
    looks nice mate,im not a fan of the chrome and ive just got my window surrounds to do too!
    how hard was it and how did you do it?
    Thanks,

    Not hard at all I cut the Carbon vinyl into thin strips about 20mm wide I did this because it makes it easy to apply heat too and make it curve around the bends without rippling/scrunching up

  7. #6
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post
    I want to de-chrome mine, but not so keen on the carbon so I'll probably use plastidip if I do it. Or just plain black vinyl.

    Still loving the car! Looks a beast.
    Thanks,

    I went with the carbon vinyl to carry on the theme I've started and I like the textured look.

    I've used this stuff in the past to de chrome it's black insulation tape 30mm wide it dose the job really well and doesn't start peeling off, lasts really well had it on my E39 for 6 months before selling it and never had any issues with it coming off and it takes 30mins to do both sides... so easy great way to de chrome.

    electrical tape. wide black pvc insulation 4 x rolls 30mm X 30m size extra wide | eBay

  8. #7
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogtown22 View Post
    Good work Daz, is that a vinyl wrap?
    Thanks,

    Yep it's carbon wrap, Im going to use the same stuff for the roof rails too.

  9. #8
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    217
    Nice one bro, looking gooooooood.
    If it's got tits or gears it's gonna be expensive.

  10. #9
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,491
    hmm better than chrome but not keen on the carbon look on the surrounds
    matt or satin black for me
    and i would have put it on the same way
    but looks better

  11. #10
    crazy88's Avatar
    Loving the anonymity

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,806

    Re: Some more work carried out today

    Quote Originally Posted by dpbayly View Post
    Thanks,

    I went with the carbon vinyl to carry on the theme I've started and I like the textured look.

    I've used this stuff in the past to de chrome it's black insulation tape 30mm wide it dose the job really well and doesn't start peeling off, lasts really well had it on my E39 for 6 months before selling it and never had any issues with it coming off and it takes 30mins to do both sides... so easy great way to de chrome.

    electrical tape. wide black pvc insulation 4 x rolls 30mm X 30m size extra wide | eBay
    Cheers for that! Is it easy enough to work around the corners? For a fiver it's worth a try.

    Thanks


  12. #11
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    217
    Take it off and paint it, Get yourself some red scotch, a can of spray etch primer and a can of satin black.
    If it's got tits or gears it's gonna be expensive.

  13. #12
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post
    Cheers for that! Is it easy enough to work around the corners? For a fiver it's worth a try.

    Thanks
    Really easy far more workable than vinyl as insulation tape is really flexible and doesn't need heat to flex and stretch it.

    Cant remember what forum a few years back someone used the stuff and it went down a storm next thing everyone was using it.

  14. #13
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogtown22 View Post
    Take it off and paint it, Get yourself some red scotch, a can of spray etch primer and a can of satin black.
    Im sure I read somewhere the rear trim cant be removed without taking the glass out so you wont be removing it also good thing about vinyl is not only is it quicker to do its less hassle and its easily reversible.

  15. #14
    RobMorris's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Aveley, Essex
    Posts
    538
    Looks good mate but agree with bez, it'd bug me that the pattern is not all the same direction..

  16. #15
    crazy88's Avatar
    Loving the anonymity

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,806

    Re: Some more work carried out today

    Yeah, the window chrome trim is just not a removable part. It's far too much hassle. That's why both plastidip and vinyl appeal so much.

    Cheers dude, im gonna order some tonight. It'll be nice to give it all a de-chrome to see what I think if nothing else.


  17. #16
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by RobMorris View Post
    Looks good mate but agree with bez, it'd bug me that the pattern is not all the same direction..
    I knew people would notice that, its only like that because it was the last little bit of vinyl I had and unfortunately it went the wrong way but I wanted to get it on anyway, I have another whole roll at work so don't worry I will be re-doing it so fear not it will all go the same way.

  18. #17
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,856

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    I like it when you do stuff to your car, as it gives me a clue what looks good or not for mine

    I'm going to do my chrome trim this summer too, just black though, not carbon. I'll be interested to hear what you decide for the roof bars. I have a pic of a dolphin grey RS6 with black roof bars if you want to see it?
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  19. #18
    RobMorris's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Aveley, Essex
    Posts
    538
    I didnt like to sound negative in my post. Having done a lot of vinyl wrapping myself this week, I know what it feels like to have to redo it again just to get the pattern right!

  20. #19
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by RobMorris View Post
    I didnt like to sound negative in my post. Having done a lot of vinyl wrapping myself this week, I know what it feels like to have to redo it again just to get the pattern right!
    Don't worry, it was bugging me anyway and I had already decided I would redo it but Im doing the roof rails first.

    Hopefully I have enough left over.....

  21. #20
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    I like it when you do stuff to your car, as it gives me a clue what looks good or not for mine

    I'm going to do my chrome trim this summer too, just black though, not carbon. I'll be interested to hear what you decide for the roof bars. I have a pic of a dolphin grey RS6 with black roof bars if you want to see it?
    Im off to do my rails now, the only issue im going to have is the vinyl roll is not long enough to do them in one piece so there will be a join so watch this space..... I''ll post pics once done

  22. #21
    L7AUDI's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    82
    Looks good to me..I've got chrome window surrounds but the roof rails are matt black! it's always bugged me so doing the chrome was on this list for me also. Just how easy is it to tuck around the trim or have you cut it flush to the rubber?
    54' 1.9tdi A4 Avant quattro sport - pretty much fully loaded

  23. #22
    glenandem's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    528
    good luck with the rails pal, ive seen this black tape but for £13 think i'll get the other stuff mentioned on here
    BMW E36 E46 E38 E39 E60 M3 M5 DE CHROME TAPE AUDI 80 A2 A3 A4 1 3 5 6 7 8 SERIES | eBay

  24. #23
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by L7AUDI View Post
    Looks good to me..I've got chrome window surrounds but the roof rails are matt black! it's always bugged me so doing the chrome was on this list for me also. Just how easy is it to tuck around the trim or have you cut it flush to the rubber?
    It was easier than I expected and I only thought it would be difficult as I wanted to use the carbon vinyl if using the insulation tape method its sooooo easy just clean the trim really well before hand and use a sharp edge of a credit card to ensure you push the tape right into the edges of the chrome trim before trimming the excess with a sharp blade I use a surgeons scalpel it really is that simple. doing it the carbon vinyl way is a little more tricky only because its not as pliable as the insulation tape without using heat and I cut the carbon vinyl into 20mm wide strips before applying.

  25. #24
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by glenandem View Post
    good luck with the rails pal, ive seen this black tape but for £13 think i'll get the other stuff mentioned on here
    BMW E36 E46 E38 E39 E60 M3 M5 DE CHROME TAPE AUDI 80 A2 A3 A4 1 3 5 6 7 8 SERIES | eBay
    The other stuff I gave a link to is the stuff I've used before and dose a very neat job once finished you would never have known you had chrome trim.

  26. #25
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,491
    Quote Originally Posted by glenandem View Post
    good luck with the rails pal, ive seen this black tape but for £13 think i'll get the other stuff mentioned on here
    BMW E36 E46 E38 E39 E60 M3 M5 DE CHROME TAPE AUDI 80 A2 A3 A4 1 3 5 6 7 8 SERIES | eBay
    i first used this 3/4 years ago and its the best iv ever used
    the first car i used it on a B5 S4 is still owned by a friend and still looks like it was fitted yesterday
    and he sticks it through the hand car washes every week.

  27. #26
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Roof rails all done, they were a pig but got there in the end:









    Unfortunately due to making a few mistakes on the rails I now don't have enough to redo my B post panels so now got to order another roll of the stuff.....

  28. #27
    glenandem's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    528
    wow you dont mess around do u!
    actually looks better than i thought with the roof rails done and got me thinking now as mine are shiny ones and was gonna leave them!
    car just looks badass mean pal with them monster brakes on the front too, one question though are you thinking about joey'ing headlights as it looks as though your going for a dark theme or do you think they would be too much?

  29. #28
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by glenandem View Post
    wow you dont mess around do u!
    actually looks better than i thought with the roof rails done and got me thinking now as mine are shiny ones and was gonna leave them!
    car just looks badass mean pal with them monster brakes on the front too, one question though are you thinking about joey'ing headlights as it looks as though your going for a dark theme or do you think they would be too much?
    Thanks,

    I am yes but i want a spare set of OEM Xenon lights to carry out the mod too, so im hunting ebay at the min.

    If any one has a set of Joey'ed or stock Xenon headlights let me know and I'll take them off your hands.

  30. #29
    RobMorris's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Aveley, Essex
    Posts
    538
    Looks awesome mate!

  31. #30
    StuG808's Avatar
    1.9tdi130 Avant FailWheelDrive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    255
    The chrome trim looks great, what's wrong with you people?

  32. #31
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by StuG808 View Post
    The chrome trim looks great, what's wrong with you people?
    I liked the chrome trim but some how it looks more mean and menacing and less old man's Jag blacked out (IMO)

  33. #32
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by dpbayly View Post
    Roof rails all done, they were a pig but got there in the end:









    Unfortunately due to making a few mistakes on the rails I now don't have enough to redo my B post panels so now got to order another roll of the stuff.....
    Beautiful!

  34. #33
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    217
    Good job dazza, do the front audi badge!
    If it's got tits or gears it's gonna be expensive.

  35. #34
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogtown22 View Post
    Good job dazza, do the front audi badge!
    Already have:




  36. #35
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by dpbayly View Post
    Already have:



    Haha Shaweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! No more pressure washing for you tho surly??
    If it's got tits or gears it's gonna be expensive.

  37. #36
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Its not come off yet, been on about a month so far

  38. #37
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    217
    Be so cool if you could clear coat over everything, it would look proper and be water resistant too...
    If it's got tits or gears it's gonna be expensive.

  39. #38
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bath
    Posts
    69
    How much of a PITA is removing the rails? Have to get involved in the curtain airbags or not?

    Thinking of going mental with some plasti dip!

  40. #39
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    Not a bad job you can use this guide:

    DIY: Removing B6/B7 Avant Roof Rails

    You can get to the bolts by just removing the plastics around the roof lining and no need to touch the curtain airbags

  41. #40
    dpbayly's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Royston, Herts
    Posts
    368
    You got them wheels on yet?

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fog to DRL conversion carried out today
    By dpbayly in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 19th June 2013, 22:50
  2. A couple of little finishing touches carried out today
    By dpbayly in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13th February 2013, 20:22
  3. Couple more modifications carried out today
    By dpbayly in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11th November 2012, 07:56
  4. Can Audi tell me what work has been carried out under warranty?
    By Cyrix in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st November 2010, 15:19
  5. beware of certain users on here who carrying out work on your car
    By drewbee in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 5th July 2010, 20:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO