Crankcase Breather Valve

czm

Reaction score
I have purchased a new crank case breather valve from Audi and am going to fit howewver it looks a real pain to get to the old one, Anybody got any tips?

Also is there a good chance that something else might break whilr i am doing it? ie brittle pipes ect

Not sure what motor you have mate, but ive just done mine on a 3.0 a4
Simply lift to plastic retaining clips on valve with flathead screwdriver, not to rough as there not that strong, then pull forward valve to break seal, then twist upwards again not to rough from bottom breather pipe, it then pops out, give breathers a bit of a wipe, lube up your new one and pop it in,
Bottom first into breather, make sure nice and sealed then clip in to the two retaining clips at side
Job done !!!

Although yours looks a lot easier than mine ,,

Im still confused how you are meant to get to it????

Pain in the backside. Did mine today whilst cleaning all the breather pipes. The rubber pipe it sits in is a paint to get off the metal pipe to the back of the engine bay. I bought a new pipe and just cut it off. Wish I'd also bought a new one that goes from this pipe to the oil filter housing. Mine just crumbled once I got it off so the car is off the road until I get hold of a new one.

My top tip is detach the coolant reservoir and lift out of the way.

I did mine a few weeks ago

Flip the coolant reservoir up out of the way then you can take the one use clip off the valve and it'll just slide out, replace the new valve and put a new jubilee clip on it

Took me 10 mins tops

Dont know why you would need to take the pipe off the other side of it

I did mine a few weeks ago

Flip the coolant reservoir up out of the way then you can take the one use clip off the valve and it'll just slide out, replace the new valve and put a new jubilee clip on it

Took me 10 mins tops

Thanks m8.

can I confirm it is the pipe that is going into the T shape part. It looks like I have to undo a unscrew jubilee clip?????

Because I was cleaning out the breather system. If you got crap in the breather valve it's likely you've got crap elsewhere in the pipes.

Yes it does go in to a T-shape part, this part is not commonly replaced due to being gunked up, they collapse like this

Photo0240_zps5a7b39e5.jpg

Here's the valve, number 6 (just realised this is for the wrong engine code but this part is the same, just the top end is different)

Capture_zps0aa49e6c.jpg

Capture_zps0aa49e6c.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Which is the entire system that I have cleaned out and degunked.

Part 17 was pretty much blocked with hard gunk. The rest of the system was pretty bad as well but not with solid stuff, just very thick oily smeg.

I've also had the pick up pipe replaced and the sump cleaned out. Next on my list is the turbo oil feed pipe. And this is all on a 104k mile car that was on long life servicing for the first three years of its life. Oil replaced with fully synthetic every 7.5k miles after that.