is my syncro angle timing close enough?

glenandem

Reaction score
hi guys after reading the article on the syncro angle timing and having replaced the cambelt recently ive lost about 5-6 mpg i thought id check this on vagcom and found it to be reading 0.6-1.1.
now i know you want it as close to 0 as poss but would this really affect my mpg that much as ive been reading and most peeps i read on here are like out by 2-3 etc and i'd say mine isnt that far away from 0 being 0.6-1.1?
is it worth me playing with the pump pulley to try and get it nearer to 0.0?

you can only try you wont hurt anything

mine went from good to better when I changed mine from -3 to 0

ideally you should have checked it before the cam belt was done

hi pal,yeah i should have really then i could have put it back to how it was before in case maybe it was out more and running better maybe? but i didnt have a vcds lead then lol
think i'll try and give it a quick tap each way and see how it goes but think the injectors might need a purge as 2 and 4 seem to be out compared to 1 and 3,heres a copy of the log-
0.6°KW Synchro. angle -3..+3°Ck.
-0.26 mg/str Cyl 1 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
0.71 mg/str Cyl 2 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
0.16 mg/str Cyl 3 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
-0.68 mg/str Cyl 4 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
all within but not sure why them two are not matching other too off!

thats hardly anything I wouldnt worry about that its well within spec :)

stick a bit of injector cleaner in if your worried but I wouldnt be

haha might try some millers used to be great in the transit, just want to get the mpg up only seem to be getting around 35-37 mpg at an average speed of 14mph so pottering round town in traffic, not sure if thats ok or not but thinking it might be the cold weather too as i did cambelt right before the freeze started in jan?

its probably the cold weather and town driving that's doing it

take it on a bit of a run and see what it comes up with

hi pal,yeah i should have really then i could have put it back to how it was before in case maybe it was out more and running better maybe? but i didnt have a vcds lead then lol
think i'll try and give it a quick tap each way and see how it goes but think the injectors might need a purge as 2 and 4 seem to be out compared to 1 and 3,heres a copy of the log-
0.6°KW Synchro. angle -3..+3°Ck.
-0.26 mg/str Cyl 1 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
0.71 mg/str Cyl 2 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
0.16 mg/str Cyl 3 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
-0.68 mg/str Cyl 4 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
all within but not sure why them two are not matching other too off!

All looks good there, i.e. within spec.
TDI's will always use a bit more fuel in the winter months.
Worth checking the temp the ECU is seeing from the coolant temp sensor on VCDS. CTS is a very common failure on VAG cars, & causes incorrect fueling.

Agreed that the round town driving wont do it much good, im getting around the same round town but on the motorway cruising at 60 i'm getting high 40's.... when i did my cambelt the synchro angle was quite far out before id it so when i set it all back up i had a little play and all it seemed to do was make the tickover a bit smoother and quieter it didn't really change my mpg, i have also read that every engine can be different also in how it runs with a certain value..... i set mine to zero.... but it could be worth having a play with

hi guys cheers for comments, ive not had chance to play with it yet but thought id reset the mpg today and had to use the car for work as i cant tax my van untll the logbook comes!, anyway did about 30 miles pottering around town stopping off at places etc and it was alot more mild weather today around manchester rather than that cold chil weve had and was getting 38-39 mpg and that wasnt even taking it easy as im still enjoying this new remap, it just pulls so much better without having to put my foot down,i noticed theres a corner that i regulary drive round and always have to gear down to 2nd to get the turbo back up and today it just clicked on me as i went round the corner in 3rd how well it was still pulling without gearing down!
i realy do recommend black smoke guys, hopefully mpg will start going up too now in the weather, gonna brim the tank soon and see how many miles i get to a tank too!