Audi A4 1.9 tdi 130 S ECON light and temp gauge problem

dean2013

Reaction score
Hi

Please bare with me as I don't know much about cars

I have an Audi A4 1.9 tdi Estate 130 sport .. 52 plate, mileage 159,000

The cambelt, water pump and fresh water/antifreeze was changed.

The day after I noticed the ECON light was on.

The mechanic said the light was on due to him draining off the Aircon. This needed to be drained to get to the cambelt etc.

Is this true??????

The other problem ...... I drove to London Thursday gone and the temp gauge didn't move from zero ...A 2hr drive.

The mechanic said this was normal since it was so cold out side. I let it idle and the temp gauge eventually went up, But soon as I put the heaters on and drove down the road the temp needle started to drop back to zero.

If someone could shed some light on any of these problems, I would be really grateful. I don't really know much about cars and have to take a lot at face value.

Thanks in advance

Hi Dean, welcome to audi-sport.net. I have moved this post into the correct section for you. Im sure the boys will help you out.. Enjoy the forum. :) x

the mechanic is fobbing you off!!

it sounds like your stat is sticking open so not warming up properly

he didnt need to drain any of the aircon to change the cam belt! if I was you I would find another garage and tell him your thoughts

you will need to get the aircon regassed he should have done this if he thought he had to drain it as he should have treated it as part of the job

also he cant have the right gear if he didnt fill the aircon back up which means he has let gas in to the atmosphere which is against the law

before the cam belt and water pump did it used to get up to temperature ok?

Reactions: dean2013
Everything was great before the cambelt and water pump was done.

The Mechanic turned off all the heaters and let it idle, the temp went up between 80/90 but soon as I drove off and put on the heaters, the temp gauge dropped right down to zero.

So if the Aircon is regas'd the ECON light will go out ?

Dean

I would expect the temp to drop a little but not down to zero once the needle starts to move and your driving it should never go back to zero it sounds like he has done something wrong somewhere...do your heaters go stone cold too?

yeah the climate control will disable the aircon due to there been not enough gas in the system once you get it re gassed it should all work fine again

Reactions: actionslax
I would expect the temp to drop a little but not down to zero once the needle starts to move and your driving it should never go back to zero it sounds like he has done something wrong somewhere...do your heaters go stone cold too?

yeah the climate control will disable the aircon due to there been not enough gas in the system once you get it re gassed it should all work fine again

No the heaters are blowing warm/hot even when the temp drops down to zero.

The day after I noticed the ECON light was on.
I couldnt see it in the post, but have you actually tried pushing the 'ECON' button to see if the light goes out?

As it may just be turned off, as the light just shows its in 'ECONOMY' mode.

No the heaters are blowing warm/hot even when the temp drops down to zero.

Are you sure this is not just totally unrelated, and just a dodgy coolant temp sender, which is very common.

Yeah, ECON won't turn off mate. No code for that cts either... The thing is, it was working great until cambelt change. I read earlier that if the water/antifreeze has been drained it can cause the thermostat to stick?????

Thanks Stu_m

Had the Aircon regass'd ECON light went out instanlty .... Also had the thermostat changed for original Audi one and temp gauge is working as it should.

Top man and once again thanks

Dean

Who knows mate but it's done now and all fixed .... matter closed and won't be going back there!!

Name and shame if you can ;)