HIDs fitting help

sublime

Reaction score
Hi guys
Im due to pick up my new A4 1.8T s line cab next week and would like some help fitting a HID kit (im not mechanically minded at all). Im in the leicester city area and would appreciate any help.

Also, the glove box in this car is broke/loose - is it easy to fix/replace?

thanks

Sublime

The HID kits nowadays are really easy to fit.
The most technical part is drilling the hole on the bulb cover at the rear.
If you were closer I would have sorted it for you.

Im not sure if the cab is different to the normal A4 in regards to removing the headlights?
When I removed the headlight to fit my HID kit on my avant I didnt have to remove the bumper.

You will need to drill the hole to get the cables too and from the ballast / bulb- most new kits come with grommets so it will seal the hole once the cables are through.

I got the canbus pro kit from HID direct but the slim kit will be fine.

There are a couple of threads in the DIY guide sticky about glovebox repairs. there is also one about fitting HID's I think.

Headlight removal in the cabby was discussed a couple of weeks ago, from memory its the same principle as the other models, except there's only the one screw underneath to undo rather than two. I don't think you need to remover the bumper, but hopefully someone can confirm.

quattroJames thanks for the reply. just a shame youre down in dorset :(

you have the B7 cab (2005) ?
to remove the lights is a bumper off job
unlike the B6
the hids can be fitted with the lights on the car but it is very tight to do
but doable
but for a neat job with the ballast hidden the bumper needs to come off.

bez
i have the B6 chassis ( i think) its registerd 04/2005 -

i think I will just pay if I have to take the bumper off - Im really no good with all this car stuff :(

You definately don't need to take the bumper off, I removed my headlights yesterday. 2 torx bolts on the top need removing, 1 torx bolt on the bottom needs loosening and the wiring clip needs unclipping. The light will then slide forward and out although it does take a little bit of wiggling. I would put some masking tape along the top of the bumper too just to stop any scratches.

Rude
thanks. Did you need to drill a hole in the back of the light cover? Wher did you fit the ballasts?
Fancy helpin me with mine If i drive to south yorks :)

if it is B6 then its very easy to remove lights
big grill or small grill ?

Haha, I was lucky , mines got factory fitted HID's. The ballasts are mounted to the inside edge of casings. I'm just trying to find some pics to show you. I'll gladly help but it's quite a drive for 2 holes lol.

small grill i think Media

easy then its really a hours job thats with a cuppa thrown in

rude
ive driven further for 1 hole ;)

where abouts r ya? from me sheffield is abt an hour away - plus it wud b nice to see what the cars like on't motorway

im in sheffield but busy till after the weekend

or ill be around tamworth services on sat after 12
that must be closer than sheffield to you ?

bez
i was thinkn more next weekend (2nd march sat pm) if your free and weather permitting?

its about the same tbh 1hr - besides nt free this weekend...

every weekend i travel from sheff to south wales
so if you could get to tamworth id be happy to help

oh ok - sounds good. i will PM you to confirm nx wk mate.. if you dont hear from me - it means I;ve picked up the courage and hav a go myself :)

I'm just about 10 miles north of Rotherham , and will certainly help out if you need it. I think I've got the removal of mine down to about 5 minutes for both sides :) This was yesterday!
2013 02 20 Bowls

Just be aware as I'm not sure if the halogens have the plastic reflectors, and I've had a real issue with burnt reflector bowls from the heat that the HID's produce.

rude
5 mins is impressive... as i sed to bez- im free next weekend and will give it a go nxt wk - if i get stuck i let you know and drive down if u free on the 2nd?

hw far from sheffield r you?

Sheffields about half an hour from me, maybe 15-20 miles. I've never fitted one of the aftermarket kits but I've got 4300k philips lamps in mine and they're blue enough for me.

Did you need to drill a hole in the back of the light cover? Wher did you fit the ballasts?

As I said earlier, all the questions you're asking are in the DIY guide sticky, which is designed to HELP people....!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-cabriolet-s4-forum-b6-chassis/102215-hid-kit-diy-guide-b6.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...trofitting-valeo-hid-xenons-h7-headlight.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...imline-hid-ballasts-now-fitted-headlight.html