2003 2.5TDI Avant Alternator Replacement?

terryp

Reaction score
Hello
My wife drove our car this morning and the battery light began to flicker , then went off , then came on perminantly.
I suspect it may be the alternator or belt as the battery was changed a few weeks ago.

How easy is it on a 2.5TDi to change the alternator? I've tried to search but from what I have fournd it seems like it may be a big job?
I normally work on old cars (Lotus Elan , Caterham Seven) but I'm not sure whether this will be in my capabilities?
Any guidance would be gratefully recieved!

Thanks
Terry

I am about to do this job over the weekend.
I have an oil leak from the left cylinder head - its dripped down the block and killed the alternator.

The front of the car will need to be in service position - I will take some pictures along the way and let you know how it goes!

Thanks! will look forward to the photos

Terry

Hi terry,

Ill upload the photos tomorrow - but they make it look a lot harder than it actually is!

I removed the alternator earlier, in a brief step by step;

1 - Jack the front of the car up and place on axle stands
2 - Remove the front under-tray
3 - Remove the front half of the arch liner - you will see three nuts securing the front bumper at either side, remove these.
4 - Remove the grilles on the front bumper - there is a bolt either side securing the bumper to the chasis leg, which is screwed in upwards, remove these.
5 - The front bumper should now come off, pull forward with equal force, once the bumper has seperated, disconnect the electrical connection to the right
6- You will see 3 (or 4, cant remember) holding the front slam panel / radiator pack, remove these bolts.
7 - Start to edge the front slam panel forward, you dont have to remove the headlights but may need to remove some intercooler pipework from underneath.
8 - Now remove the viscous fan using two spanners
9 - Remove the belt covers - clips for the top ones, two hex nuts holding on the lower cover.
10 - This will now expose the belts - you will need a 17mm hex to take the tension off the tensioner for the aux belt - you cat really get much slack in the belt but keep persisting - the pulley is the one just to the right of the large pulley (cant remember what its called exactly) - second belt in.
11 - Once the belt is off, remove the bolts holding in the alternator and remove the electrical connections from the back, the alternator will come out from the bottom of the car with some maneuvering (be careful with the radiator hose)

It took me about an hour to remove the alternator from start to finish, was quite daunting but once I decided to just get on it wasnt too bad.
Collecting the new alternator tomorrow morning, so will let you know how it goes!

Thanks Alex, its sounding like something I could do. I have it in a french garage at the moment waiting for a quote. After I fall off the chair I think it looks as if I'll be doing it!

Thanks again

Terry
PS So does that mean the radiator just comes forward a bit or do you have to drain the system and remove?

Hi terry,

Ill upload the photos tomorrow - but they make it look a lot harder than it actually is!

I removed the alternator earlier, in a brief step by step;

1 - Jack the front of the car up and place on axle stands
2 - Remove the front under-tray
3 - Remove the front half of the arch liner - you will see three nuts securing the front bumper at either side, remove these.
4 - Remove the grilles on the front bumper - there is a bolt either side securing the bumper to the chasis leg, which is screwed in upwards, remove these.
5 - The front bumper should now come off, pull forward with equal force, once the bumper has seperated, disconnect the electrical connection to the right
6- You will see 3 (or 4, cant remember) holding the front slam panel / radiator pack, remove these bolts.
7 - Start to edge the front slam panel forward, you dont have to remove the headlights but may need to remove some intercooler pipework from underneath.
8 - Now remove the viscous fan using two spanners
9 - Remove the belt covers - clips for the top ones, two hex nuts holding on the lower cover.
10 - This will now expose the belts - you will need a 17mm hex to take the tension off the tensioner for the aux belt - you cat really get much slack in the belt but keep persisting - the pulley is the one just to the right of the large pulley (cant remember what its called exactly) - second belt in.
11 - Once the belt is off, remove the bolts holding in the alternator and remove the electrical connections from the back, the alternator will come out from the bottom of the car with some maneuvering (be careful with the radiator hose)

It took me about an hour to remove the alternator from start to finish, was quite daunting but once I decided to just get on it wasnt too bad.
Collecting the new alternator tomorrow morning, so will let you know how it goes!

If the radiator is drained it will be slightly easier - however I just worked with the room I had!

Thanks Alex, its sounding like something I could do. I have it in a french garage at the moment waiting for a quote. After I fall off the chair I think it looks as if I'll be doing it!

Thanks again

Terry
PS So does that mean the radiator just comes forward a bit or do you have to drain the system and remove?

I had to do one before where the alternator tensioner had practially fallen off, it pivots on a big pin that goes through some top hat shaped bushes.

The bushes had worn, and the pin had come out of place, which put the tensioner at a funny angle and threw the belt off.

So is best to try and have a look and see if the belt is all in place before you go ordering an alternator.

Terry - im not going to upload the pictures as they are rubbish - they came out dull and blurry.

Only things I would advise after I fitted mine would be to remove / re-fit the alternator from the top of the engine - it just falls into place from there, also remiove some of the intercooler pipework at the bottom - it allows for more room when pulling the slam pannel forward.

If you need a hand or get stuck, send me a message, however I think you will be fine!