V6 tdi bhp

Ketty_86

Reaction score
Hi guys wonder if you can help me, what makes the Quattro 180bhp over the fwd being 163bhp???

I think there's an extra intercooler and slightly higher spec turbo.... but wait for adams24 or someone like that to give you the exact spec.

Not sure about the manual gearbox, but I'd guess there's a larger clutch, I do know that the automatic gearboxes are VERY different: the 163PS has a multitronic that struggles to cope with 163PS's torque and the quattro has the older style quattro has a more traditional torque converter (and copes fine).

Don't be tempted to get a 163PS and think you can tweak it up to 180PS.... you probably can, but not worth the effort vs results: if you want to go FWD, you'd be better off getting the 1.9TDI 130PS as that will also remap / be modded up to around 180PS fairly easilly and you'll have less weight to haul around.... which is important with the amount of wheelsping you'll be doing with that much torque going through the front wheels...

Or just buy my 180PS quattro... pretty sure they that can be remapped to around 220-230PS and way beyond that if you want to replace hardware (and without overwhelming the same drivetrain that has a 340PS V8 in it :) )...

Haha I've already got 163PS I was just curious to know what the difference between the two of them, thank you for answering my question

There are more differences that it meets the eye: the 180 Bhp has stronger rods, lower CR/stronger pistons, larger nozzles and more aggressive ECU map. It's easy to get the 163Bhp to 180Bhp, the later BDG 163 Bhp engine goes to 195Bhp with a Steinbauer tuning box or a good custom remap ! The clutch is the same between the FWD and the quattro, only difference is the 180Bhp has a stronger pressure plate and a self adjusting clutch. Only issues with the FWD is their poor ability to put all that torque and power on the road without keeping the ESP on ALL the time ! Also later b6 tdi (quattro or FWD) have extra limiters built into the injector pump so they won't get over 250Bhp even with massive turbos and nozzles !

As for the pd130 engine, they are fine with a remap and some modest tuning but they tend to munch gearboxes for fun, my b6 a4 with a custom remap, bv43 and rebuilt engine stripped the syncro on 3rd in the 1st day i had the custom map for the bv43 ! My 300Bhp a6 tdi quattro is fine with 80% larger nozzles, standard clutch and custom remap + GTB2260vk hybrid turbo ! The 4 pot diesel engines are not in the same league with the v6 tdi engines !

Wow, you seem to know your diesel's well and truely, I would be happy if I could get it around the 200bhp, and by the sounds of it, it won't take that much to achieve this, I've read about blanking egr, is that something you've done???

Nope, the EGR is still active in my engine, it does not make much of a difference with my driving style as it stays shut most of the time !