Flat bottom steering wheel

vr6gordy

Reaction score
Bit lost on this one I want to fit sline flat bottom multi funk wheel into my a4 cab .. It has 4 spoke multi funk wheel fitted at the moment but I really like the feel of the chunky sline flat bottom wheel .... What do I need to do to make this fit and work ??????

just be careful if you're doing it yourself - there's lots of ways of getting it wrong with the airbags....

You mean like this
biggrin.gif

How much are they these days? I got mine 4 years ago when you could only get them from the R8 spare parts bin (and new), so they were about €900/£900 for the wheel and you still needed the airbag + B6 slipring and wiring loom (incl steering wheel control module for all the MF components).

direct fit
apart from the airbag loom mod

sorry to hack a thread but what colour options are these flat bottom wheels available in, is it only black?

I know you can get different colour wheels that are very similar to these FBMFSW's, effectively they are the same but full round instead of flat bottom, but as far as I know they were available in different colours in the A8 only (I could be wrong) but fitting to an A4 might be a bit more trickier due to slip ring differences and module differences.

I've now got a s3 flat bottom wheel and I understand I need a signal phase air bag and mod the wiring loom .. Now I'm lost do I is my b6 slip ring also what do I do with the wires also will my stereo controls still work

You need the dual stage bag that fits the wheel
New slip ring wiring mod
You bag may or may not work

Other parts for mfsw controls to work

Can't I use a signal stage bag and use my slip ring

Thinking I'm understanding it a it more now

It this the right part number for air bag I need8J0 880 201 N 6PS

So parts I need are
Duel air bag
B7 a4 air bag slip ring
And b7 airbag loom
And module to make controls work is it correct ???? Please someone help part
Numbers please anyone or links

Last edited:
Just the 4 pin connector .. What do you do with it

Still a bit confused .. Can't find what I need to plug into this ^ or is it not used ??? It's a b6 slip ring in pic but b7 slip ring has one on it to

There are threads on here you can use a single stage airbag..

I asked this question a few months ago for my avant and got told it couldn't be done :( I'm confussed

Just one thing now I'm confused with when you join the wires it say splice 5 into 3 .. This where I'm confused what do you do with the other end on number 5 wire .. Do you just not connect it .. It says you leave 3 pluged in

Also which end of the loom do you connect is it the green and orange end or the yellow connector end

Found this picture of a modded loom mine loom has more wires for the mfsw is this the correct way to do loom

that's correct for what they have done

post a pic off your loom up back of the bag and wheel.

Air bag number is 8jo 880 201 j6ps which fits my s3 flat bottom wheel
This is the bit I'm confused on I'm I right I need this loom to make it work
8jo 971 589 b .. On this loom there are 2 connectors one is smaller then the other .. I need to swop them over to the right connectors ?? Also there is a 3rd connector on my air bag do I need to join this to the larger connector to make the horn work

that's correct for what they have done
Is it really though? The whole point of a dual stage airbag is that in a low speed collision, only one stage is deployed. A higher speed collision deploys both stages. Whilst you wouldn't only want to connect a single stage (as a high speed impact would need both), a low speed impact with a full force airbag is not a good thing. My brother in law had a low speed crash a couple of years ago and the damage to him caused by the airbag was a lot greater than would have been caused by the crash itself. I have never like the idea of messing around with airbag wiring.

Is there any documentation on the pressure of the old single stage and the newer dual stage air bags?

If the dual stage airbags are quite a bit more powerful than single stage airbags (and I believe they are), I certainly wouldn't want to fire both stages in the event of a low speed crash.
If both stages of a dual stage airbag is equivalent to the single stage, then I guess there's no problem with the kind of harness above.

Reactions: BakPak
Sorry to sound very rude .. But why can't people answer your questions on here ..

Just pulled the crome ring off the steering wheel and found 2. 3 pin connectors anyone know what there for

the steering wheel paddles plug in there if they're fitted.