damn fuel gauge

hitman1978

Reaction score
Hi all, think I've posted before about my temperamental fuel gauge. Over the last 3 years its had a new fuel pump, fuel filter, both senders and my gauges checked. Thought I'd finally figured out that the connector on the driver side sender was causing the problems, or so I thought. Apparently the connector can be fitted either way and after turning it round I've managed 3 full tanks of fuel, around 340 miles, then today fuel light has come on after 250 so I'm back to square one. I'm really hoping someone can help

My fuel gauge has been temperamental for the last 3 years + too, it's fine until it reaches 1/4 of a tank then it can drop to zero the next day when I start it. Sometimes it goes back up to 1/4 of a tank like it should, other times it doesn't, or it'll be anywhere inbetween but have a lot less on the range than I know is in there. Very annoying but I've just learned to live with it cos I don't think it's worth the hassle and money of replacing either or both of the sender units. So your not the only one out there!

I opened mine up again this morning, gave the wires a wiggle on the sender and for 1/4 of a tank of fuel back, think mine is the connection from the sender to top of the pump, or the wiring through the actual pump top

Tis irritating, I keep meaning to look at mine but either forget or just find something a lot better to do with my time. mine hasn't got any worse in 3 years so I don't think I'll bother doing anything about it unless it gets a lot worse, but I definitely feel your pain, it's mighty annoying at times.