dgr coilys fitted now getting a knocking

Andie0

Reaction score
hi as some of you no i fitted dgr coil overs last week and am having a slight problem! when i go down small potholes or drain that are sunk slightly i am getting a knock! i dont no if it could be wrong assembly of the shocks at the front but my mechanic has checked and said all was fine! i am wondering what else it could be? as i have lowered it quite alot now 20mm higher at fronts and rears from when i first put them on do you reckn something could be touching together like the exhaust hitting cross member or anti roll bar hitting driveshafts i am unsure need some help! i also didnt have to use the original bump stop above the top mount and used the new rubbers supplied by dgr that are a lot smaller in comparison?

IMO its your CV joints. They will be in different alignment and may need replacing. Could be wrong though.

I had a similar issue after dropping my Avant 50mm at the front (40mm springs +B5 perches) my noise was caused by the drop links the previous owner had them replaced and they were pattern parts anyway with the new lower resting angle of the suspension arms it meant when hitting a bump they moved up further than they used too and the drop link where it bolts to the arm had a shoulder that was failing the arm causing a slight knock a quick wizz over with a grinder to take a bit off the shoulder on the link and the problem was solved.

Worth a check but you cant check it on a ramp with the wheels hanging as when jacked up the drop link shoulder is miles away from where it fails when its on its wheels, i checked mine on the MOT ramp so it can be viewed from underneath with the weight still on the wheels at normal riding height.

Had exactly the same issue with my AP coilovers, also I'd get a clunk from the spring when I'd put lock on. I lubricated the spring locations and top mounts which fixed that. The other knock over bumps and pot holes has disappeared over time (or I just don't notice it any more)

Thanks for the replys im going to have a look at all the above on wednesday on my day off! The ride is pretty good except that annoying fricking noise! I will replace the drop links anyway as they are only cheap so will not dent the kitty! I am going to have them off again just to lube everything up as well make sure that the mechanic did lube it up properly and soften the dampers slightly! Thanks people i will let you no the fix when i find it

How did you get on? Enquiring minds need to know! The FK coilovers I have also make a knocking noise on the drivers side. I am changing them so have been following your other thread with interest, currently stuck between DGR coilies and the Bilstein B12 sportline kit.

Hi i have not had it off yet has been too cold, i am removing them next week to find the cause of the knock! Am actually going to take it down the road to a mates garage later today just to get in the pit and look underneath see if it is anything obvious

Right for you who care i found the knocking problem with the dgr coilovers.

dgr supply a rubber which you are suppose to use instead of the original doughnut which goes on top of the top mount... Well i took this off a used the factory one as thought it does the job alot better than the one supplied. Also turnt the coilovers 2 turns to softer setting refit everything and tourqed it all to correct settings. Car now feels alot better and no knocking, think it was a combination of the top mount and really hard setting allowing no bounce over bumps therefore just creating bangs. Can now flow over the bumps no problem without getting tense everytime i see a pot hole.

Thanks for letting us know. I ended up going for the B12 kit, very pleased with them, but will keep an eye on your threads to see how you get on with the DGR's. I still have a slight reverse rake on my car and I'm hoping it will level out a bit over the next few hundred miles. If not, I might have to go for the DGR's :yes:

what springs did you opt for you b12 kit
Thanks for letting us know. I ended up going for the B12 kit, very pleased with them, but will keep an eye on your threads to see how you get on with the DGR's. I still have a slight reverse rake on my car and I'm hoping it will level out a bit over the next few hundred miles. If not, I might have to go for the DGR's :yes: