Which Hids?

Kyle.

Reaction score
I've heard some his can bring up errors after they've been fitted?

Is this true, which kits prevent this?

I was recommend on here to go with can bus HID's with 4300k bulbs and all I can say it, they wernt wrong, I tried the 6000k and 8000k and both were poor. but 4300k were great.

Same as me. I had the Bosch 6000k for about 5 years on different cars, they have just started to play up so changed to 4300k. Really pleased with them, just the right colour output and bright too

Canbus error free kit you want mate, I got mine off eBay... 50-60 quid gets you a really good kit... I went with 6000k as I wanted pure White light not the blue you get from 8000k upwards, they look really nice, you might want to get led side lights to match if you fit hid's, as the standard side lights look yellow against the bright White of hid's.

you might want to get led side lights to match if you fit hid's, as the standard side lights look yellow against the bright White of hid's.

Mines the other way round, got the nice LED sides and halogen headlights.... makes the headlights look like glow worms..

I was recommend on here to go with can bus HID's with 4300k bulbs and all I can say it, they wernt wrong, I tried the 6000k and 8000k and both were poor. but 4300k were great.

+ 1, I'm amazed how much more light by 4300k put out over my previous 6000k kit.

Could someone post a pic of the 4300 k HID's at night ...
just want see what colour of light they produce and are they much different to the standard bulbs

thanks

Yea thats the bulbs warming up. All HIDS will be the same, its actually really quick.

If you want brighter lights however its better to go lower in k. 4300k is brightest. You'll get plenty of videos and pic online mate. I went hunting when the guys on here recommended the 4300k. 100 times better. I'd class the halogens and even 6000k as death lights as you can't see diddly squat with them in comparison.

Must order a set H7 is the dipped bulb in the A4?

is the 35w or the 55w the best to go for ?

Yea H7, well I had the 35w ones before but I went for the 55w this time, there is a difference between them but only slight. There was some doubts by others that 55w would be to hot for the plastic lenses on the headlight but that's not the case at all (personal opinion). 70% of my driving is at night and at least once in the week its on for 3-4 hours at any one time, no melting or any problems of any kind.

I run 55w 4300k in mine and they are spot on

I used to have some 35w 6000k's and they was crap compared to these but they are great in my high beam!

hid's direct do good kits that work well with no errors I'm led to believe

Turns out there is actually three types of H7 bulbs :think: when I went to order a set...

There is H7 plastic base, H7 metal base and H7R reflector

Which is the right one? :think:

you can get any but the 7R

the 7R is supposed to be for reflector headlights but fitting them in reflectors is totally illegal

No

The 7R is just for reflector lights and has a sheild on them to stop stray light stay away from them you dont need the 7R ones

Your a fountain of knowlege altogether Stu :icon_thumright: you a mechanic ?

I'm looking forward to fitting these :yahoo: as I would be as well off holding a candel out the window that's how bad my dims are so hopefully I'll get a big improvement.

Reactions: stu_m
I wouldnt say a fountain but I know a fair bit lol

No not a mechanic I'm wasted though :lmfao:

I'm just a bit of a buff and do my research and have always done my own work on all my cars I'm more in to my bikes though was brought up as a spanner as a teething ring lol

You will see a big improvement with them

you can get any but the 7R

the 7R is supposed to be for reflector headlights but fitting them in reflectors is totally illegal

They are illegal in projector lenses too. HIDs in reflector lenses and projector lenses require self levelling headlights and headlamp washers. Also I believe the projector lens for xenon bulbs differ to halogen ones as do the reflector lenses for xenons and halogens. Apparently HIDs will now fail an MOT unless they have the washers and self levelling lights.

I had them in my old car and although the beam pattern was checked and was ok, they still looked really bright from the outside.

The lights in that video look really good, do they look dazzling from the outside?

They are illegal in projector lenses too. HIDs in reflector lenses and projector lenses require self levelling headlights and headlamp washers. Also I believe the projector lens for xenon bulbs differ to halogen ones as do the reflector lenses for xenons and halogens. Apparently HIDs will now fail an MOT unless they have the washers and self levelling lights.

I had them in my old car and although the beam pattern was checked and was ok, they still looked really bright from the outside.

The lights in that video look really good, do they look dazzling from the outside?

this has been discussed too many times!!

they don't need self levelling or washers but if they are fitted they must work ;-)

I cant remember the exact wording in the MOT manual but its something along the lines of "headlight washers and self leveling for xenons must work IF fitted" they good bit is IF fitted not they must be fitted

but they are illegal if fitted in to projectors made for halogens as the projectors aren't type approved for xenons but the chance of been done for that is very slim and you still get the same beam pattern unlike reflectors where the beam does what it wants and blinds everyone!

Have a read of this from the MOT manual

Vehicles equipped with HighIntensity Discharge (HID) or LED
dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system. Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.

The key in this one is ANY FITTED it doesn't state it must be fitted
Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

I also questioned a mate of mine who is an MOT tester and own his own garage and he said they don't have to be fitted

i put 8000k in mine at the weekend and looks great no problems nothing

Why does every thread turn into the legalities?

We all know the somewhat grey area of them, and yet every hid thread turns into an argument about whether they are legal/ illegal.

Edit: I've got can bus 4300k ones, they're great.

Last edited:
They were not asking on what the legality of HID's are. Those who have them just replace them for mot and put them back in after. Until such time the police start enforcing it we can still enjoy the benefits of HID's.

had 8000k myself in my passant and hey we're terrible. You much be the lucky one lol.

They were not asking on what the legality of HID's are. Those who have them just replace them for mot and put them back in after. Until such time the police start enforcing it we can still enjoy the benefits of HID's.

had 8000k myself in my passant and hey we're terrible. You much be the lucky one lol.

Agree and agree! Haha. 8000k must be poo, I think anything more than 4300k is poop personally.

The thing I read here&nbsp;http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/customer-information-notice-cars-2010.pdf said they did have to be fitted, I guess it's changed since then.&nbsp;<br>I'm sorry, I wasn't aware it had been discussed a lot here and just thought it mention it in case it hadn't, I appreciate it isn't a discussion about there legality.&nbsp;<br><br>One thing to consider though is that there is an offence of 'undue dazzle' that the police could use for HIDs.&nbsp;<br><br>The colour and beam pattern of the lights in that video look OE and make me wish I hadn't sold mine, although they were 6000k and H7R so wouldn't have been as good.

Ha, i was just having a moan last night :p Perhaps it was my pmt.

I hope there was no offense, it's just that every thread slightly linked to HID's always seems to come around to the legalities. I can see why, but it's also frustrating as you have to sift through all the bobbins to read the posts relating to the original question.

Get yourself some more andyF, you'll love them! Just find a friendly mot tester or take them out for test. :eyebrows:

Is there a noticeable difference between the 35w and 55w?

I'm still considering some H7R's in my B7 (reflector headlights), contrary to everything I have read about legalities.

I'd align them very carefully and remove if they produced undue glare, but I still fancy having a go.

Just not sure if the H7R bulbs will fit in my headlight as the beam cap inside the light looks like it will foul the bulb.

I'm still considering some H7R's in my B7 (reflector headlights), contrary to everything I have read about legalities.

I'd align them very carefully and remove if they produced undue glare, but I still fancy having a go.

Just not sure if the H7R bulbs will fit in my headlight as the beam cap inside the light looks like it will foul the bulb.

I wouldnt bother!!

I know of a B7 driving round with them on and he blinds everyone!!

I'm all for been safe and been able to see but blinding people is taking the p1ss its not very safe if others are blinded and run off the road because of your lights!!

I leave mine in they pass an MOT just fine

My mate who MOT's mine is strict and wont let anything slide!

wonder if you guys have different rules?

I wouldnt bother!!

I know of a B7 driving round with them on and he blinds everyone!!

I understand what you are saying, but you don't know......

A - if he has properly aligned the beam

B - if he is using the more restricted H7R in the reflector headlights.

I wouldn't like to think that people get dissuaded from fitting HID's just because some people can't fit them properly, or fit the correct ones.

I'm aware it's not OEM, but surely it can be done to good effect without blinding other road users.

No It cant be done to good affect without blinding others

I know people that have fitted the R ones and they just bounce light all over the place even if they are set up lower then what they are supposed to be they still blind oncoming traffic

yes your right I dont know if they are set up right but I do know they are 7R's he has in and it is the stray light that blinds you even when I pass him when I'm at work driving a bus sat higher then a normal car driver hight

but its up to you, you probably dont live near me so I dont care! :)