headlight lens hazy! can these be fixed?

Jackhop22

Reaction score
Nottingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
my headlamps are quite hazy on the front lenses, what is best to do? can they be brought up nice, or is it simply new headlamps? it looks like a layer on the lens has actually melted away, i do have some spare lamps in the same condition, which i will probably have a practice on first, maybe wet sand it down and polish it and see if it comes up?

was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue, as i have seen a few on the road that are the same!

Have a look on ebay i got a two stage cut and polish for plastic lenses about £10 worked well on my passat

If your brave enough, 2000 grit wet & dry, compound machine polish then final stage polish with soft pad.
They will look brand new.

I tried wet and dry along with polishing on my headlights, but it seemed the actual plastic had started to turn a yellowish colour over 120,000 miles.
I ended up replacing the units for some "Depo" ones which were purchased for £45/ea on ebay - they have been on the car for about 6 months now and are perfect, really freshened up the front end!

I carried out the sanding and polishing method on a few of my previous cars and it really dose work well including restoring the yellowing.

Here's a few of the past results:

Mitsubishi FTO

Before (de-laminating and yellowing)
17032010003.jpg

After (like new)
17032010001.jpg

My 540I (had bad motorway stone chips)

before
2011-09-08171733.jpg

after
2011-09-08175947.jpg

some of the in between process

wet flatted back (start with 600 then 800 then 1000 then 1500)
2011-09-08173020.jpg

after all the flatting they looked like this
2011-09-08174054.jpg

once you have them looking like this i used a mop (machine polisher) but the same effect can be had by hand just takes elbow grease along with a cutting compound.

2011-09-08175850.jpg

No worries,

Get the worst off with wet 600 once you have it nice and smooth then work at it with wet finer stuff till it looks like my last pic before I polished then its just compound and elbow grease till it looks mint, with the wet n dry paper add a bit a fairy liquid to the water helps let the paper slide over the lens and stops the paper clogging.

Halfords rubbing compound £4.99 . Wet & dry paper buffing mop low speed on an electric drill lots of water so as not to burn the plastic mask around each head light to protect the paint 15 to mins job done look like new .

Thankyou but don't have that problem now!!
Problem is crappy interior finish, worn buttons and drivers door pull,