engine flush diesel. yes or no?

deano1978

different gear
Reaction score
Doing my regular service.
Well ive brought wynns engine flush,but heard from petrol engines that they can block some pipes?

Should i use it?
Or just do a normal service?

1.9 b6 130 tdi

Nope, take it back and use the money to buy some quality fully synthetic 5w40 oil. Quantum is great and it's under 35 quid for 5L !

Done some more net surfing,dont think its a good idea on over 100k motors as it can dislogde large amounts of sludge and cause problems. Ive only had the car 3 months and not known how well its been looked after
New cars and regular flushes is a must.
Im on 120k now and dont want to disturb anything that has settled.

I never seen a sludged pd 130 engine yet, diesel oils have extra detergents to cope with the extra soot + they require full synthetic oils of a particular spec (505.01) which does not degrade like mineral oils/semi synthetic oils on 1.8T engines...

never use engine flush! its nasty stuff, and think that an amount of it will stay in your engine afterwords, anyone who knows anything about engines will say to stay clear. if you want to flush your engine, the best way is to carry out two oil changes, with about 100 miles or so in between, if correct oil is used then that on its own will keep your engine clean.
also id take the advice up top and use quantum oil, its what audi use, and not massively expensive.

Out of experience i would never flush a petrol engine. However i have used diesel treatment (you get it that goes in with fuel and also one that goes in with oil) had a diesel car in for an mot and the emissions were just outside of the limit. Used the disel treatment (forte) and it settled the emissions enough to pass. That was 6 years ago and the car is still going now and not had any more emission problems when it come to mot. Alot of people are scared of it but with a german diesel engine i wouldnt worry they can take a back hand windmill slap from chuck norris and laugh it off