Audi a4 1.9 tdi avant FWD to quattro !

adamss24

Reaction score
I thought i should start a thread on it, cannot take all the credit for the car as i bought it already modded ! Anyway, it's a b6 avant 03 plate lowered on aftermarket springs (either FK or H&R), black with a3 v6 alloy wheels and had basic mods done to it, mainly it had the Rieger rs4 style front bumper fitted-not a great fit and finish ! Sourced a genuine Votex grille from a fellow forum member who had it sprayed in Ming Blue and had to re-paint the rear lower bumper due to me reversing in my T4 van after i just fitted a towbar !
Anyway, bought the car with damaged engine- previous owner went trough a puddle and the engine hydrolocked, few bent rods and it let go with a bang 1000 miles later. Bought it for a song so i started looking for an engine. A friend of mine had a low mileage engine block which i bought for 100 quid then proceeded to put it all together ! Used a thicker head gasket and PD150 head bolts for good measure. Also sold the GT1749Va turbo that was on the engine and fitted a bv43 instead. When i took the old clutch and flywheel off i have noticed a few tooth missing off the flywheel ring gear so i had no choice but to go single mass flywheel as i knew the 228mm stock clutch would not hold the power i was after ! So i fitted a TTV single mass flywheel and rs4 clutch from Southbend- meant for an Rs4 with modified fera metallic linings on one side and organic on the other. Clutch was rated at over 500Nm ! As you might know i had flywheel chater but not odd vibration but the clutch is difficult to control for a smooth take off !
After having a few maps uploaded i had to have a map specifically tweaked for the bv43 and it transformed the car !
Took it for a drive last night round M25 and my god it pulls, easily 200 Bhp ! However i managed tp get the syncro stripped on 3rd gear so i will have to nurse it for a while whilst i remove the running gear from the v6 tdi quattro i have on my drive ! Did not like the 5 speed anyway, too wide gaps between the gears !
Going SM flywheel was the only way to get a 240mm clutch in there and i knew the box wont hold too well, it was just a matter of time. New VAG cars are made out of spit and paper ! Here's a few pictures:

DSCF5116.jpg

DSCF5117.jpg

broken block:

DSCF5118.jpg

Engine back together ready to fit in the car:

DSCF5119.jpg

DSCF5120.jpg

DSCF5121.jpg

DSCF5122.jpg

Special ARP flywheel bolts used:
DSCF5123.jpg

DSCF5124.jpg

DSCF5125.jpg

DSCF5126.jpg

DSCF5128.jpg

DSCF5127.jpg

Back together:

DSCN1237.jpg

DSCN1238.jpg

DSCN1240.jpg

DSCN1239.jpg

Time to sort out the handling so rs4 rear antiroll bar was fitted allong with 312mm front brakes:

DSCN1247.jpg

DSCN1245.jpg

DSCN1246.jpg

Then stripped the engine back for new cambelt kit and all relay rollers + i had to replace the drive belt tensioner as the bolt was bent:

DSCN1248.jpg

DSCN1249.jpg

DSCN1250.jpg

DSCN1251.jpg

DSCN1255.jpg

DSCN1254.jpg

DSCN1253.jpg

Allard EGR delete pipe + boost gauge also fitted at the same time:

DSCN1252.jpg

Then it went in the bodyshop for spraying the front and rear bumpers:

DSCN1252.jpg

Next to my b6 quattro sport uploading new map on the ECU:

IMAG0193.jpg

Future mods: 4 wheel drive running gear, bigger turbo and injectors and a front mounted intercooler. Also bought a rear Votex valance with inserts so that will get sprayed and fitted along with the v tdi dual side exhaust, will ad some nice tips so it looks the part. Also trying to get a THS stainless steel decat pipe, sadly it's discontinued ! That would be it for the time being !

My god Adam you seem to be very handy with the spanner :thumbsup:

are you a mechanic ?

Sport interior fitted along with a double DIN cage, 3 spoke steering wheel and piano black door/dash inserts:

a4doubledininstall2.jpg

a4doubledininstall.jpg

a4doubledininstall2.jpg

a4doubledinarmrest.jpg
a4doubledininstall2.jpg

a4doubledininstall.jpg

DSCN0234.jpg

DSCN0235.jpg

DSCN0237.jpg

DSCN0239.jpg

DSCN0243.jpg

Back together

DSCN2335.jpg

DSCN2333.jpg

DSCN23991.jpg

DSCN24001.jpg

My god Adam you seem to be very handy with the spanner :thumbsup:

are you a mechanic ?
I do work a lot on VAG cars...cambelts, engine rebuilds and the like ! I don't like to pay someone to do a poorer job that i can do so that's my moto: I don't want to do it or i don't know how to do it, there is no I cannot do it !

Reactions: RickyB
Need to source a Votex center grill for the rear valance, TPS wants 86 quid for a piece of plastic ?! I might buy some honeycomb rs3 style mesh off ebay and have a try at grafting a few grilles !

So wait a minute...is this actually a quattro yet or is it still to come? Looks ace so far!

It's still FWD but i have a b6 v6 tdi quattro sport on my drive which i bought as spares or repairs with a broken cambelt ! I can fix the engine- no problem but i will rather get the running gear out of it and break it for parts than sell it whole for £2000-2500 !
So far i have ported and skimmed pair of heads for the v6 tdi and i have all the parts to rebuild the engine back but i need quattro so badly, no matter what you do to a FWD it will never grip like a torsen quattro !
I will take the 6 speed gearbox, prop shaft, rear sub frame and rear diff from the donor v6 tdi and swap it to the 1.9 Tdi. This in effect will give me a longer 6th gear + a stronger 01E proper Getrag gearbox, no mikey mouse audi "made in the house" 5 speed gearbox !
I knew the box won't last long with over 450nm of torque, actually it took just a spirited drive on M25 last night to strip the syncromesh on 3rd gear and i am a careful driver !!! Need to nurse it for a while until i get some time i can work on the car ! Got few too many projects going at once and this was my daily driver ! So far i am 95% happy with the car looks and handle but i thought the 5 speed gearbox will live a little longer than just a few months with a remap and larger turbo !
Anyway, i know the 01E 6 speed gearbox from the v6 tdi quattro will take waay more torque than the weezy 1.9 Tdi can ever muster so no issues there. Only concern i have is the single mass flywheel, whilst it's ok to drive i would love to swap back to a DMF but i know the stock sachs and DMF will slip with the current map, the same map slipped on a FWD passat with 6 speed gearbox and almost brand new Sachs clutch and Sachs DMF !

How does it run with the soild flywheel and uprated clutch? As my clutch will need doing soon and dmf are just ****! But i heard that solid flywheel causes knocking or sumit daft, but that all hearsay, wanted to hear an answer from someone with first hand experience. Awsome car by the way!

Great work.

I have a spare genuine Votex rear centre grill, i got it with my Votex rear kit, i got from tps about 3 months ago never fitted it as i went with a closer knit mesh.

You can take it for £20 collected or plus postage delivered (guessing around a fiver to post recorded) drop me a pm if yoru ineterested, I live nr Royston Herts

20130202_114105_zpscefea715.jpg

Right, at the risk of sounding very stupid, I thought that the EGR was also the throttle body? Your pics are the first I have seen of an Allard kit fitted. Where is the cable that was attached to the EGR that I thought was the throttle cable? I'm guessing I've misunderstood what that is?

There is no cable to the egr just 2 vac pipes the actuator on the side works a butterfly so stop engine shudder when you turn the engine off and the pipe on top works the plunger to let the exhaust gasses into the inlet... Does look a bit like a throttle body though

There is no cable to the egr just 2 vac pipes the actuator on the side works a butterfly so stop engine shudder when you turn the engine off and the pipe on top works the plunger to let the exhaust gasses into the inlet... Does look a bit like a throttle body though

Ah right, thanks for that. I know next to nothing about PD engines. On mine the actuator snapped meaning massively reduced revs/power. The RAC bloke who recovered the car said it was the throttle and he did a bodge repair to get me going. Obviously once replaced the car was fine again.

If the actuator on the egr snapped it shudnt do anything as the butterfly is always open until the engine turns off. Is your car a petrol?

If the actuator on the egr snapped it shudnt do anything as the butterfly is always open until the engine turns off. Is your car a petrol?

No, a 1.9 130. The car couldnt get full throttle which rapidly got worse until the car became undriveable. The guy from the RAC found that the black plastic rod had snapped close to the end and wasnt pushing the metal actuator bar. He slid two metal ring connectors (electrical connectors like you would use on an earthing point) over the small metal bar and zip tied them to the black plastic rod. Car drove faultlessly from then. I purchased an EGR/ASV assembly off fleabay, put that on and the car has been fine ever since

Unless when it snapped the butterfly partialy closed and didnt let as much air through. Or thinking about it the butterfly wud of just been flapping about so of course it wud of made a difference lol my appologies

How does it run with the soild flywheel and uprated clutch? As my clutch will need doing soon and dmf are just ****! But i heard that solid flywheel causes knocking or sumit daft, but that all hearsay, wanted to hear an answer from someone with first hand experience. Awsome car by the way!
There's chatter at idle and the clutch is grabby but i had no unwanted vibrations from the SMF and once on the move there's no difference. It's a little annoying in traffic though ! I was thinking to use a Sachs DMF and Sachs SRE organic clutch but it costs too much, the whole clutch/flywheel kit cost me £650 and that was nearly half price !

Nice work, will be interested to see this progress.

You did well to find an interior with built in rear door blinds too!

Nice work, will be interested to see this progress.

You did well to find an interior with built in rear door blinds too!
What are the odds of having 2 in the same time with the blinds ? Here's one i just sold a couple of days ago...By far the best quattro v6 tdi i ever driven !
DSCF5168.jpg

DSCF5170.jpg

DSCF5172.jpg

DSCF5174.jpg

Are you going ahead with the quattro conversion?, will you need a fuel tank as i have read up on it and seems it's different from the 2wd variant, im in the same boat but with a bigger 2.7 v6 tdi that is deserate for quattro conversion engine code is PBB just hope there is a quattro gearbox to fit it?

Where did you mount the boost gauge inside the car?

And thanks for the reply about the quattro. I'm now officially saving for a quattro. I will have one before next winter, i WILL! haha

Where did you mount the boost gauge inside the car?

And thanks for the reply about the quattro. I'm now officially saving for a quattro. I will have one before next winter, i WILL! haha
The boost gauge is still fitted in the engine compartment, only fitted it when i was tweaking the map to keep the boost spikes in check ! I did not get the chance to fit it inside the cabin but i do have a pillar pod which needs a little trimming but i think a went pod will look much better ! there's no replacement for quattro, no point having all that power if you cannot put it on the road...

Are you going ahead with the quattro conversion?, will you need a fuel tank as i have read up on it and seems it's different from the 2wd variant, im in the same boat but with a bigger 2.7 v6 tdi that is deserate for quattro conversion engine code is PBB just hope there is a quattro gearbox to fit it?
I do have the whole car, it's a 2001 2.5 tdi quattro complete, cambelt broke on it and whilst i could fix the engine it's not worth the expense. I had thought to fix but after yesterday i just settled it's faith ! I will have to buy a few extra parts: auto 1.9 tdi radiator, 1.9 tdi quattro exhaust downpipe, t he ABS pump needs swapping + a bunch of more bits and bobs ! Very easy conversion, just needs few items coded into their respective locations...

Very nice car you have got going there Chris. Not in the market for another car but when I am I will come and see what you've got. It would be much more reassuring to buy a used Audi from someone who knows his Audis so well.

Very nice car you have got going there Chris. Not in the market for another car but when I am I will come and see what you've got. It would be much more reassuring to buy a used Audi from someone who knows his Audis so well.

Thanks mate, please do get in touch when you're in the market for a new car ! When i repair cars i don't cut corners, even if i don't make money i still fix them properly ! It's not a good thing to lower standards...

Is the 6 speed box fitted to the 1.9 Quattro TDi's also a Getrag ? or was that only fitted to the V6's ... i know the clutch size for my car is bigger than the normal ones and you've got me curious

Nope, the gearbox as fitted to the 1.9 tdi is not a Getrag box, audi stopped fitting them during 2002 but they continued to fit them to some v6 tdi engines throughout 2003. Houever is pot luck what they fitted as most later v6 tdi were torque limited in 1st,2nd and 3rd gear so they don't get damaged !

After a spirited drive round M25 a couple of days ago i have managed to strip the syncromesh on 3rd so it looks like the gearbox swap will happen sooner than later !

Also picked a set of rs4 style crome pedal covers from a forum member, will try and find a few hours and see how they fit ! Should smarten the look of the interior no end !

Hi Chris,

How do you tell if you have the Getrag box, as my v6 is a 03 model it maybe if I'm lucky have one!

John

You need to look under the car and see if the gearbox has the cast iron centre diff at the end, where the propshaft will bolt to, Etka also listed the gearbox codes and you can google to see if your's is still the stronger box...There's a chart of 01E gearboxes which were made by Getrag on gt40 forums, look for Scott de Witt postsfor how strong the gearboxes are... I have 700Nm running trough one in my a6 and it's still as sweet as it gets, no crazy Bhp numbers and i don't do drag racing, just good old nice driving with ocasional spirited driving to 3 digit speeds !

Think I might have found a suitable doner car, it's a B6 2.5 tdi with 6 speed manual gearbox, engine has failed cambelt so a non runner, only thing im concerned about is the gearbox, will it go on my BPP engine?, but the car is very nice so breaking it wont be a problem as I would offer ASN members 1st dibs at the car after i have stripped out the bits I want. Any advice would be welcomed guys thanks :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Early b7 a4 was available with quattro and a 6 speed manual gearbox(3.0Tdi), they were limited to 211Bhp though so i don't think the gearbox was man enough for the torque the engine delivered ! Every other higher powered 3.0Tdi came as auto only ! I don't know if the bellhousing will bolt on to a 01E gearbox-should do- but the clutch is different and the DMF is larger on the v6 CR tdi... You are a pioneer mate, if it bolts on then fair do to you, if it does not (which i don't believe it much!) then you can put the a4 back on flea bay and get most of your money back ! Out of curiosity, how much you paid for it ?

Not brought it yet as its near Glasgow and its a 400 mile round trip with a trailer. The guy is asking £1350 and its still taxed and tested. Its on gumtree if you want a peek. Your reply has me thinking,when I replaced my clutch the parts were common with a 3.0 tdi quattro and Rs4..... should I go for either of those.....it just so happens that I know where there is an Rs4 rolling shell for £1500 but dont know if it has gearbox etc. Think that might be a better option?, the B6 is nice and is fully loaded in a metalic red with vortex body kit so could be worth a punt to put it back on the road?....decisions:rolleyes:

All parts aquired
RS4 rear diff and sub frame with half shafts
RS4 fuel tank, will flush it out etc before it goes on
3.0 Tdi quattro 6 speed box with mount and propshaft
Will need to re-use my rear discs and brakes plus change the gear oil in the box and diff just to ensure that there is no metal bits, hope to get the swap over done in the next 5 weeks, will keep you all posted and take lots of photos.
There is bound to be some snags but I'm looking forward to having a truely unique car.:)

Hi there, got a question about EGR Valve. Why did you go for that ''Allard EGR delete pipe'' is it really better to get rid of EGR valve? Just wonder how a piece of metal can be better than the whole EGR valve mechanism

All parts aquired
RS4 rear diff and sub frame with half shafts
RS4 fuel tank, will flush it out etc before it goes on
3.0 Tdi quattro 6 speed box with mount and propshaft
Will need to re-use my rear discs and brakes plus change the gear oil in the box and diff just to ensure that there is no metal bits, hope to get the swap over done in the next 5 weeks, will keep you all posted and take lots of photos.
There is bound to be some snags but I'm looking forward to having a truely unique car.:)

Keep us posted Carl.

Wrong fuel tank supplied....so back it goes

So what is better? Genuine EGR valve or that delete kit from Allard? won't Allard kit cause error as a fault on dash? explain please, i am newbie in that

Use your standard egr valve with 2 blanking plates and the top pipe disconected and then you still have your anti shudder valve for a smooth shut down. Pointless spending 50 quid when you can spend 5 or nothing if you make your own plates