airbag light query

jerry,b6

Reaction score
well when i bought this car the airbag light was on in the dash and asked the owner why and he said that it was due to him having the front seat out when he was cleaning the car and so taught nothing of it as it sounded like a likely story as i had done same before meself in my last car,,,anyhooo i got loan of a mates vagcom reader to reset the light but it was unable to it,,,did a bit more fault finding with the reader and it showed that the drivers side front crash sensor was the reason the airbag light was showing up,,,my question now is do i need to replace the crash sensor with a new one or can it be reset with a proper vagcom with cable ,,thanks in advance for any helpfull info

To be honest airbag lights being on is quite common on vag group cars - it is usually due to a faulty seat sensor or connector under one of the seats - I wouldn't worry much about it

im not too worried about it but it needs to be turned off as i have the nct for my car coming up,its the same thing as mot in uk and if the light is on its a fail for the nct,,thats why im asking can it be turned off with proper vagcom or dose the sensor need changing

just to update this i changed the sensor and had no joy,,the light is still on and so got it scanned and got g283 and another code so i googled them on rosswiki and did the checks and its turned out my sensor is ok and that i have a fault in the wireing to it,,,investigated it a bit more and seen black electrical tape on the wire berore the plug for the sensor,,stripped it back to see the wires had been cut and soldired back together,,after a bit more online reading i came across a link saying any wireing along the air bag circut shouldnt be soldered together so i cut out the solder and used a crimp type connector ,,tried erasing the code and the airbag light went off but came back on after a couple of second but not as quickly as it did before hand with the soilder connection,,,,,so im asking any now is there a specile type of crimp to use or way to join the wires,,i have my nct in a weeks time and this is the only hold up on the car as i have everything else sorted for it and the car is 100% bar this little niggle