temp prob since cambelt and waterpump?

glenandem

Reaction score
hi guys, i recently replaced the cambelt and waterpump on my 1.9tdi and since then ive lost a few mpg and the temp takes alot longer to get to 90 and when im stationary it drops to around 60-70ish so i replaced the coolant temp switch and also the thermostat today with both gen vag parts and still doing the same, all since i did the cambelt and waterpump?
elec fan not on either so thats not keeping it cool, i wouldnt be so bothered but im sure the ive lost about 4-5 mpg
any ideas?

did it bleed up ok ?

think so pal, i had to rev it to 2k for a wee bit to get it up to 90 degrees than if you leave it to idle it goes back down to 70ish, the heater blows hot air ok too and its never overheated?
i didnt disconnect the bulk head pipes to bleed it but im pretty certain its not got an airblock as it would overheat or wouldnt get hot air would i?

Forgot to mention when I did the work I put an egr blanking plate on, could this be affecting the temp as its not allowing hot exhaust gases back into the engine and maybe it's affecting mpg too, even though i thought that blanking the egr was supposed to help?

From my understanding of the tutorials on here people seem to be getting slightly more mpg with the egr delete, or rather thats the theory anyhow.

what stat did you fit ?
oem or after market

Hi guys yes it was a gen stat from tps and the egr blank I've fitted thrm to other cars
And they have improved mpg by 1-2 here and there but I'm just thinking with this temp and mpg issue Is it related to egr blank maybe, might swap it back and see if it helps as both the usual parts have been replaced with gen too!