Pick up 1st A4 on Sat.

Remster

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is my 1st post on here so take it easy with me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I pick up my A4 Avant 1.9 TDi Sport on Saturday and have a couple of Spec. related questions.

The car is a 52 plate (Feb. '03) in Atlas Grey. It has what I believe to be the standard sport spec. i.e. 17" 5 spoke alloys, 3 spoke steering wheel, sports seats with electric lumbar, 6 cd autochanger in glovebox. What it doesn't have is the front centre armrest or DIS system. I have seen these on a couple of sports whilst out looking but guess they are options.

My question is, can these be retro fitted? If yes, where can you get the parts 2nd hand?

Really looking forward to picking the car up at the weekend.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Both options are retro-fittable, but at a rediculous cost.

Best bet for an armrest is Ebay, A4 ones tend to go for less than A3 ones, but dont expect to get much change from 90-100 quid. Alternatively try www.vagparts.com

Welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The DIS question comes up quite a lot and I'm pretty sure it can be done but you need a new dash panel - Which is NOT cheap (£500ish).

The armrest is an easy job and around the £180 odd mark IIRC

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I only ever use the armrest on the Motorway when cruising for a long distance (read hardly ever) as changing gear is a pain with it down. So to be honest, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it wasn't there.

Does anyone have it down all the time?

on my a4 i find the armrest just the right hight to keep it down and change gear so its down all the time, on a3's and golf's it get's in way all the time up or down

My understanding is that the Autochanger would have been an option?

[ QUOTE ]
I only ever use the armrest on the Motorway when cruising for a long distance (read hardly ever) as changing gear is a pain with it down. So to be honest, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it wasn't there.

Does anyone have it down all the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif my armrest.
I tend to keep it down most of the time even around town - sometimes it PI**** me off a bit so I fold it up but normally thats only if I start driving a little more 'briskly' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think it should be standard on a 28k car anyway ..............

BUB

[ QUOTE ]
My understanding is that the Autochanger would have been an option?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, as were 17s on a 03 i think. My 02 had 16" trapez as standard, options of armrest, alu trim, changer

My armrest is down all the time, but then I have the multitronic box so frustrations arent the same.. love it.

Atlas Grey? IMHO its the best colour! not as tacky as silver, but just looks 'right' somehow.. (I'm not biased at all!)

Mine is a sport without DIS - have used the DIS on colleages SE model - dont miss it at all!! an easy trade for the better handling.. still get to see miles left in tank etc without the DIS so fine..

so £500 to fit a DIS?? No no no no no take that £500 and drive to AMD with it, talk to ED (very nice man) sit in their fab waiting room for a few hours and I reckon you'll think it the best £500 youve ever spent! I know I do...

enjoy your motor Remster!

Thanks for the welcome guys and the informative replies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif

As I expected, a retro fit DIS install is just silly money for the extra it provides. I may keep an eye out for a cheap 2nd hand armrest and do a DIY install. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CurryMilkShake, I agree (obvioulsy) regarding Atlas Grey being the best colour for the A4. I viewed exampes in Dolphin Grey, Black, Silver & Denim Blue and none looked as good as Atlas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

You mention AMD, what does the Stage 1 tuning give? Is it just an ECU flash? I was going to go down the REVO route as I had it on a previous car, Seat Leon Cupra R, and was impressed. I guess the same options are available for the Audi TDi's, i.e. REVO, AMD, JABBA, MTM etc.

The AMD Stage 1 was a full rolling road remap, tweaked for your car rather than a generic map 'flash'.

They do do such a system, their 'one-click' option..

I cant comment on the REVO, never had it - but I am over the moon with the AMD one, the service from AMD was superb too. Their waiting room is just great too, everything you want from plasma tv through wireless acess, games machines free drinks you name it...

Lots of choice on these tuners, i read through loads of the feedback here before deciding on AMD and am very pleased I did!

on the 1.9tdi like yours and mine, you are typically looking at up to 180BHP and up to 300lb..though it varies according to car. Mine didnt go as high as some according to the RR (approx 170, and about 270lb/ft) but the driving difference is enormous, very very happy indeed.. and thats still over a 25% increase in everything related to the loud pedal!

Would like to vote for Akoya Silver - very nice and not too common either !

Do miss having an arm rest though...

I have dis on the a3 but not the a4 and do not miss it, both have center arm rests that are down all the time.I had dis on my a6 and would only play with it to see how low I could get the mpg by flooring the thing.

[ QUOTE ]
Would like to vote for Akoya Silver - very nice and not too common either !

Do miss having an arm rest though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok then Avus for me and pretty rare too - S-Line only /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
on the 1.9tdi like yours and mine, you are typically looking at up to 180BHP and up to 300lb..though it varies according to car. Mine didnt go as high as some according to the RR (approx 170, and about 270lb/ft) but the driving difference is enormous, very very happy indeed.. and thats still over a 25% increase in everything related to the loud pedal!

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you be able to comment on change in fuel consumption?