2003 A4 1.8T (163) Oil Issues.

Rodgeri

Reaction score
Been having some issues recently, with Oil Level indicator randomly appearing. Having checked the oil every time with no problem, and been very careful with the car i finally took it to Brookdene Motors (Watford) to have a diagnostic to understand if there was an underlying issue.
The diagnostic showed no problems and level sensor and oil pressure checked out ok.
1 Day later, doing a steady 80 on the M3, when suddenly a slight pullback when accelerating makes me immediately pull over and stop. This was mainly due to the oil light issues and reading some very good posts on this forum about the trials of 1.8T oil issues!
When turning it over on the side of the road, sounded like a tractor. Left it well alone and got flat bedded back to Brookdene.

To cut a long story short, the car is currently **** in the air being drained, sump cleaned and oil pickup and pump replaced. It will also have a calibrated pressure test and another diagnostic when complete. To mention, all being done for a reasonable amount of notes by the excellent Jason at Brookdene Motors.

Small Morale of story, worth a few quid to investigate a little deeper anything that indicates even the smallest issue with oil!!!!

Will update when the car returns.......

Quite a common issue caused by people not allowing the turbo to cool / using poor quality oil.
The turbo cooks the oil causing sludge - this then blocks the oil strainer.

Hi, thanks for the advice. Have only owned the car since November so plead innocence!!
Have now organised the garage to switch it from Long life service to interval and will also consider a an oil change every 5k-6k.

Is there anything else on these that i should be aware of / consider so that i keep it in best shape possible?

Also, have been toying with the idea of a possible remap to make this great car even more fun but this would be new territory.

Hi, thanks for the advice. Have only owned the car since November so plead innocence!!
Have now organised the garage to switch it from Long life service to interval and will also consider a an oil change every 5k-6k.

Is there anything else on these that i should be aware of / consider so that i keep it in best shape possible?

Also, have been toying with the idea of a possible remap to make this great car even more fun but this would be new territory.

Get it off the longlife - fresh 5-40w fully synthetic every 6k should keep it in good health.
Clean out the breather pipes at the top of the engine - these get sludged up too.

Aside from the issue you have come across the 1.8T engine is bulletproof - definitely have it re-mapped, you wont look back!

Cheers guys. Update is that oil pump and pick up all changed and running well, looks like a new turbo is needed as the old one is struggling, especially with a new pump fitted.
I am being quoted 550 for a Garrat K03 with 1yr guarentee. Sound reasonable or is there better deals out there for a new one?

check out prices for a refurb on yours think they come in at about £350 - £450 they only down side is your car will be off the road for around a week but the turbo will be as new

Hi Stu_m, thanks for that. Just spoken with mechanic and he is not keen on the idea of a refurb of this turbo, as all they rebuild is the core and so the housing etc is still 80k's old.
Also, best rebuild price (essex turbos) is £444 inc VAT, so for the saving i may as well get a spanking new one.

It wont matter if the housing is 4 million miles! it has no moving parts and would be cleaned up like new you really wont be able to tell the difference!

like I say though the dwon side would be car off the road while it gets done and if its still drivable now and you need to use it for the £100 you save it could cost you more in alternative transport!

True. Will have a think on and make my decision after a bit more furious researching!!!!!!
Btw, do you have any good recommendations for rebuilders?

Why not use it as a chance for an upgrade?
Some variants of the K03s/ K04 turbo are a bolt on upgrade.
If not, you could have yours rebuilt with different internals (compressor wheel.etc) - Combined with a decent re-map may see a good power upgrade!

I have used CR turbos in the past - I also think there is a user on here (cant remember his username) who rebuilds turbos.

True. Will have a think on and make my decision after a bit more furious researching!!!!!!
Btw, do you have any good recommendations for rebuilders?

Ive heard good things about midland turbo might be worth a try

send beachbuggy on here a PM now, he can either rebuild your turbo standard or rebuild with Ko4 hotside internals and that will really let your car breathe nicely. very reasonable pricings too