RS4 ARB fitted to 2002 A4 1.8T last week - wow!

SuperBaaaad

Reaction score
So my old rear ARB was corroded to a point where it was recommended that I replace it. Decided (based on the various posts on here and other forums) to upgrade to the 22mm RS4 ARB (over the standard 16mm one).

What can I say? The difference is incredible - it's so much flatter through corners and body roll has been reduced noticeably.

I can't recommend it enough.

To note - I'm also currently running standard suspension (due to upgrade in the next month or so to better springs & shocks).

Parts fitted were:

2 x A8AO 511 439 Clip @ £3.14 ea + VAT
1 x A8EO 511 409 AL Stabilizer Bar @ £75.92 + VAT
2 x A8EO 511 327 D Y34 Mounting Bush @ £2.96 + VAT
4 x AN 101 277 07 Z21 Bolt Hex @ £0.84 ea + VAT

+ labour.

Had this fitted by the ever brilliant Dave @ VolksAutos in Sutton.

sounds cool mate, is it an avant or saloon?
im thinking about doing this mod myself and did you replace drop links?

Did the same job to my 2.5tdi sport avant on Saturday and can't recommend it enough, different car on the corners all together. Had a struggle with my old rarb to remove, and there's not much room to work the spanners on the quattro..worth the effort though. I didn't change the drop links.

Don't get to drive the car much as the Mrs uses it every day for work.:3sadwalk:

my wifes the same, the cars used for the school run and shopping trips unless we go out at the weekend and i drive.
she just doesnt understand that we need an rs4 rear anti roll bar for them trips to sainsburys!

sounds cool mate, is it an avant or saloon?
im thinking about doing this mod myself and did you replace drop links?

It's a Quattro saloon and no, we used the existing links. It's a straight swap but so worth it. Corners like a dream and it's currently on stock shocks and springs (until next month).

It's a Quattro saloon and no, we used the existing links. It's a straight swap but so worth it. Corners like a dream and it's currently on stock shocks and springs (until next month).

Have you decided on what make of shocks and springs your going for Superbaaaad?

Have you decided on what make of shocks and springs your going for Superbaaaad?

I'm undecided as of yet. I know I don't want to go the springs only route, and I also know coilovers are out of the question as I live in London and speed humps are a big issue for any car that has been lowered that much - I also don't do track days.

I'm looking for about a 35mm drop just to give the car a better stance and rid the massive gap between the wheel and wheel arch, whilst retaining driveability and a good level of comfort.

Looking to spend anything from £300-£500 on a decent set of springs and shocks.

Oli

I have an A3 and I used the eibach sportlines which gave it a nice drop of around 30-40mm. If they make them for the A4 they would def be worth a shout

I have an A3 and I used the eibach sportlines which gave it a nice drop of around 30-40mm. If they make them for the A4 they would def be worth a shout

Cool - is that springs and shocks? Have you got any photos to show the drop?

Cool - is that springs and shocks? Have you got any photos to show the drop?

Super, I have been looking at the Eibach sportline springs as well as the Bilstein B8 shocks. It comes in a kit known as the Bilstein B12 Sportline. To give you an idea of how it looks, pink.teg is running them on his: pic

He is running the Eibach Pro springs on the back and Eibach Sportlines on the front, so you might find your rear sits a little lower than his. Personally I'll be going for the B12 Sportline kit first and then buy a set of Pro springs if I find the rear is too low. Both GMJ Performance and DPM Motorsport sell the kits if you are after prices.

Going by your profile malfuss, we have very similar cars. Got any pics? I always love seeing another dolphin grey avant!

Back on topic...I still need to get this mod done. I've yet to hear of one person who doesn't rave on about it.

Parts fitted were:

2 x A8AO 511 439 Clip @ £3.14 ea + VAT
1 x A8EO 511 409 AL Stabilizer Bar @ £75.92 + VAT
2 x A8EO 511 327 D Y34 Mounting Bush @ £2.96 + VAT
4 x AN 101 277 07 Z21 Bolt Hex @ £0.84 ea + VAT

+ labour.

Had this fitted by the ever brilliant Dave @ VolksAutos in Sutton.

Whats it take time wise in labour?

I can let you know this tomorrow as i ordered my set up today, im replacing the drop links at the same time, nothing wrong with the old ones just thought as there coming off i'd change them for fresh new ones.

Hopefully it will all be delivered before lunch so i can get it up on the ramp in my lunch break and switch them over.

It depends what condition your nuts and bolts are in and what tools you have to hand. If you've got access to a car lift, you have got a 16mm ratchet spanner (18mm open end spanner and 13mm socket also needed) and there is little rust on the exposed threads then it you should take you less than an hour easily.

If like me no car lift, no 16mm ratchet spanner and rusted threads then it's not so quick. The non quattro models may have more room to work the spanners also. I have got oxy/cet which was needed on one badly rusted nut

I plan on doing this soon - fiting coilovers within the next month so this mod should go hand in hand.
Thanks for the parts list too - will come in handy.

Alex, unless you're fitting 700 quid coillies i would advise against themm and use Eibach or H&R springs...

Going by your profile malfuss, we have very similar cars. Got any pics? I always love seeing another dolphin grey avant!

Yeah, I need to get some pics up, just not happy with the way it looks atm as it's a bit scruffy. I also don't have any decent pics of it yet and this weather ruins any chance of keeping it clean enough to get any.