Volks AutosEM Tuning
    1st Gear

Status

1.8t throttle body cleaning

Has anybody cleaned the throttle body on their 1.8t bex engine? Did it on my wifes 1.8t golf with good results. Just wondering if there's any pitfalls before i attempt this!

This is what the golf looked like

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    There is a guide on audizine on how to do this, it's on my list to do when it's a bit warmer and dryer
    A4 1.8T 190 S-Line, Stage 2 Shark Performance Map 230 BHP, Pipercross Panel Filter, Forge 007 DV, Blue Flame Performance Exhaust + High Flow Sports Cat, 8k HID Lights, 8k HID Fog Lights, LED Sidelights, LED Number Plate, Front + Rear Ambient Lighting, LED Interior Bulbs, Grooved Dimpled Disks, Ultimax Pads, RNS-E DVD, Tinted Windows, S4 Grill, Votex Rear Skirt, BOSE, Leather, Engine Covers, S4 Mirrors, RS4 Pedals, Gloss Black Wrapped Grills, 19" BBS LM's Summer, 19" RS6's Winter, Coilovers

3rd Gear

Status
    A4 1.8T 190 S-Line, Stage 2 Shark Performance Map 230 BHP, Pipercross Panel Filter, Forge 007 DV, Blue Flame Performance Exhaust + High Flow Sports Cat, 8k HID Lights, 8k HID Fog Lights, LED Sidelights, LED Number Plate, Front + Rear Ambient Lighting, LED Interior Bulbs, Grooved Dimpled Disks, Ultimax Pads, RNS-E DVD, Tinted Windows, S4 Grill, Votex Rear Skirt, BOSE, Leather, Engine Covers, S4 Mirrors, RS4 Pedals, Gloss Black Wrapped Grills, 19" BBS LM's Summer, 19" RS6's Winter, Coilovers

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers pabs, might have a go at it tommorow. When i did the golf i didnt disconnenct the plug to avoid having to do alignment afterwards. If i do it ill take some pics and let you know the results!
    Cold starting on my car is'nt great so as cleaning TB is free, think it would be a good place to start.

3rd Gear

Status
    No probs mate, Have you changed your plugs recently, when mine was playing last year up I put a new set of plugs in and it was perfect, no more probs firing up especially in the cold

1st Gear

Status
    Plugs is another thing on the never ending list of things to do! On the subject, what plugs are advised?

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm running NGK copper plugs at the mo, I was thinking of getting iridium but not sure they are worth the extra cost

2nd Gear

Status
    Think I put NGK platinums in mine always ran the Scoob on iridiums but as said there expensive

1st Gear

Status
    Ok, so cleaned the throttle body this morning. Wasnt as gunked up as i was expecting but enough deposits to upset the airflow when cold i suspect. Started lovely afterwards but it was a warm morning here (8 deg) so still dont know if my cold start probs are better! Anyway heres a pic when first dismantled....

3rd Gear

Status
    looks pretty clean i hope mine is the same when i get a chance to do it, i would take your coil packs off and check your spark plugs

Top Gear

Status
    I replaced my throttle body on my BEX just last week as it was knackered

If you're having cold start/idling trouble I highly recommend replacing the crankcase breather valve, its only £9~ from the dealers and is a 5 min job, they pretty much ALL collapse at some point and mine was causing the car to idle between 1000-1200rpm

See here:

Crankcase Breather Valve Location
    Audi A4 1.8T S-Line Quattro (190) '04

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN