Depreciation

HuntsA4

Reaction score
Is it just me, or has depreciation gone mad.
Had a drive of the new 2.0T FSi and thought perhaps it was time for a change.
But was offered £12K for my 23 month old 1.8T 190 Sport (30K miles), which was £27K new!
I'm Gobsmacked.
Think a remap and keep it!

I'd never trade in at a dealers, you'll get nowhere near the trade in value.
Also I'd never sell a new car less than 3 years old, (unless it's doing galactic mileage) unless I really had to. Having said that I'd never buy a car new again, it's just madness unless someone else is paying.
Bearing in mind you lose 20% just driving a new car off the forecourt, then probably another 20% after 2 years, so it's the second worst time to sell it as you've taken the hit on the 2 heaviest lots of depreciation. From 2-3 years there is very little depreciation other than mileage, so it evens out a bit.
I heard an ad on the radio today for a new MG Rover originally £14.5k selling for £7k so it's hardly surprising the 2nd hand market is at an all time low. Having said that I recently sold my wifes A3TS '99 67k miles for £6.5k, well chuffed.
Cars are becoming very disposable these days, but at least there's a better choice for all us 2ndhand buyers.

i was shocked looking at a local audi dealers site

04 A4 sline quattro not sure on miles but had same spec as mine apart from BOSE it was up for sale for £20495

3 grand more than what i paid for mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Their markup is ridiculous especially when the car is still under warranty seems to be around 20% which is just greedy as they make margin on the car your buying as well.

I think your right Andy, going to keep it till at least year 4, and in the meantime will iron out the flat spots with a remap.
I quite like the ride, but the missus thinks its to hard, but i think best left alone as I don't want to effect the handling.
I think a 6 month old ex-demo next. This is my first new car, its been nice but these sort of losses are crazy.
I love cars, always have, went and had a look at Mondeos, Vectras etc yesterday, just can't see me siting in one, no comparison on cabin build quality.

I know what you mean, Audi's sometimes drive you crazy but no one does interiors as good for sensible money. Went for a test drive with a mate who's getting the new Passat Estate and the interior is just awful and the gimmicky fly by wire handbrake would drive you mad. His current Saab 95 Aero maybe quick but everything about the interior is really nasty, like sitting in front of a block of flats and the leather seats would look more at home in my dads lounge.
As far as I'm concerned the premium you pay over VW/Seat is worth it for the interior alone. BMW/Merc suffer the same hideous problem.
I know it sounds picky choosing a car on the internal aesthetics but where do you sit most of the time?

[ QUOTE ]
I know what you mean, Audi's sometimes drive you crazy but no one does interiors as good for sensible money. Went for a test drive with a mate who's getting the new Passat Estate and the interior is just awful and the gimmicky fly by wire handbrake would drive you mad. His current Saab 95 Aero maybe quick but everything about the interior is really nasty, like sitting in front of a block of flats and the leather seats would look more at home in my dads lounge.
As far as I'm concerned the premium you pay over VW/Seat is worth it for the interior alone. BMW/Merc suffer the same hideous problem.
I know it sounds picky choosing a car on the internal aesthetics but where do you sit most of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on Andy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

You can put your RWD and oversteer where the sun don't shine, because BM' interiors just don't cut it!

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif