servo

simon.m

Reaction score
hey guys any one no what changing a servo involves may have to change mine as im told the peddle is to hard iv never had a problem with it and its gone through 3+ mots but this time im told it may need a new servo

Are you sure the plenum chamber isn't flooded? I've heard of people with this problems reporting servo issues as water gets in there and then freezes.

to be fair iv not looked at that mate its always been dry but i guess there is a chances its got some in it but my peddles have always been fairly hard they guy says it should be soft ie when you brake peddle should go at list1/2 way down where as mine dose not. also with car off when you pump the peddle it goes rock hard start the car foot still on peddle it only goes down 1inch max till you drive off then when you push it itssay 2 to 3 inch ish but its always been this way

Whether it's the same on the a4 or not I'm not sure bud.
I bought an A6 for the Mrs and the brakes were rock solid, I never felt confident with the brakes. I put a new servo in. Easy enough task. I could run you through it, but I'd have to have a look under the bonnet again just to refresh my memory. It took me about 1-2 hours.
It didn't fix the problem at all. URGH!!
What the problem turned out to be was...
On the rear of the engine, there is a fuel/vacuum pump. The outlet connection for the vacuum becomes loose over years. It's a pressed fitting over a metal connection. I took the vacuum unit off, pushed a good oil resistant sealant into the gap and carefully knocked over the edges of the unit with a light hammer. Prior to this, it moved around ALOT in its housing. Now it's rock solid and the brakes are fantastic.

that sounds like my problem mate i no the pump your talking about and one of the pips is loss does not look like it fits right so maybe that

If you reach round the left side of the engine. If it's loose you'll be able to wiggle it.

yeah it is loose for sure how can i fix it

Take the pump off for ease of work.
Get some Loctite 5910 from Halfords. With it on your finger, push a small amount into the gap all round. Then gently tap over the edge so it clamps back down on the metal. Refit and leave for a few hours for the sealant to fully harden.

thank you so much its in a work shop at mo being looked at but im 99% sure its that but the garege thinks im wrong and think its not just the pip but the hole thing if any thing or the servo

can the vacuum pump get oil in it ? the garege has told me it has oil in it

well he faild its MOT on it after i told him what it was he said oh no the pump is nackerd as its full of oil so the oil seal insaid has gone. so i asked if he took it off and he said he was just stripping it down as we speak i give him 20mins and whent to see him he had put it together again so i now have my car back parked up will take it off tomrrow and do as you did just hope there is no oil seal gone. but if you say it could be from egr then a clean will sort that im sure

yeah just need to find the right one for mine no way can i pay 300 for a new one