Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    3rd Gear

Status

Which carbon fibre vinyl material

Hi guys, gonna order some vinyl wrap for my dash trims and maybe chrome window strips and other chrome bits but not sure on how much I should order and also which one, looking on eBay there's the 3m dinoc stuff, the schothbrite material and some stuff called cat piano!
    anyone know which material is best for fitting and sticking etc and any links to any vinyl you guys bought as I know a fair few peeps on here have done they're motors lately!

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I think most use the 3M stuff but don't quote me on that.

I want your faulty electronics

Status

Re: Which carbon fibre vinyl material

Dinoc all the way.
    It's amazing to work with.
    Costs more but worth it.

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Greeny233 On Twitter Add Greeny233 on Facebook Add Greeny233 on Google+ Visit Greeny233's Youtube Channel Visit Greeny233's Instagram Channel

3M Di Noc is what I used, really good stuff.
    Chris "the machine" Green.
    2004 Audi A4 1.9tdi Sport Quattro Avant

3rd Gear

Status
    Cool what size sheet did u go for?

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Greeny233 On Twitter Add Greeny233 on Facebook Add Greeny233 on Google+ Visit Greeny233's Youtube Channel Visit Greeny233's Instagram Channel

I went a bit OTT when I bought my roll, I bought a 3metre x 1metre roll (£60). After doing all the dash trims, centre console and so on I still have loads left.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeny233 View Post
    I went a bit OTT when I bought my roll, I bought a 3metre x 1metre roll (£60). After doing all the dash trims, centre console and so on I still have loads left.
    hi pal thats the size im looking at on ebay at the mo, thinking about doing interior bits and then front grills and got an sline front bumper to fit soon that i got off ebay for £50! so that grill might need doing too, do you think it would cover all that and if anything left maybe the chrome window trim but i think being an estate will need a lot more!

1st Gear

Status
    Might give this cf wrap a go, some cool examples on the forum of what's possible.

I have read that Di-noc vinyl is pretty good stuf and easier to form than some. How long lasting and durable is this stuff, are you needed to reapply new vinyl in say 18 months or so??

Reverse Gear

Status
    I used the 3m stuff 1st time i used the stuff and was brilliant and easy to use only flaw was price was double the price of other stuff on the market
    I then trialled some of the cheaper products which i was shocked with some of them , some don't flex well at all and end up creasing , If going with the cheaper product make sure it has air channels in the back as that is what helps flex n stretch
    I have used the cheaper channel stuff on roofs, bonnets and interior pannels and if a little heat is used can wrap round most things

Reverse Gear

Status
    if applied correctly on edges it should last many years , if it starts to peell in places then it wont last at all

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers Ian. Double the price is better than a crap vinyl that doesn't last! I'll have a think about experimenting with some vinyl on something that might look cool.

2nd Gear

Status
    Just be careful if buying off E.Bay you do get what you want. I bought sdome stuff described as "3M". I noticed early on that a lot is described as "3D" and I think you're meant to get confused and buy the cheaper stuff by mistake but I was careful and bought 3M, when it came though it had no 3M logos whatsoever. When I questioned the seller he said it was 3M but supplied for the Chinese market so didn't have the 3M logo on. I had a thnk about it and felt that really wasn't right and when I questioned him again he said "well it's really good stuff anyway, if you try it you will see that" and he offered me a refund if I was still unhappy. I didn't take the refund, maybe should have because it clearly wasn't what it was described as but I did report it to E.Bay. I haven't tried it yet either so can't say if it's good or bad but that's not really the point anyway, the point is it was deliberately mis described.

3rd Gear

Status
    hi pal,i noticed that, quite sneeky looking for victims lol
    i have noticed some stuff that says it is 3m but not di noc, its scotchbrite which apparantly is comparable to di noc?

2nd Gear

Status
    ive got a 2mx2m (i think)bit of di noc or 3d as they call it for sale £45 posted

1st Gear

Status
    Tbh I really don't think the 3m stuff is really necessary for doing small interior bits. I used to work for a sign makers and did full car wraps. I've used the 3m stuff and yes it's excellent to apply and get a good finish but I bought some 3D stuff off ebay mega cheap to try it out and found it just as good as the 3m stuff for a fraction of the cost, only down point is its not bubble free but its easy not to get bubbles in a wrap as small as a door trim. I've had this in my car for a year and still looks as good as when I applied it. I've used it on the outer b pullers on my a3 as well and that has lasted fine as well. Take a look and your be surprised. I managed to do all my a4 door/dash trim and the a3 door/dash trims and still have plenty left. All for under £7.
    CARBON FIBRE VINYL WRAP CAR STICKER [3D] Black 1520MM x 600MM SIZE | eBay
    Audi A4 Cabriolet 2.5TDI 163 Sport
    Full Interior Lighting Pack - Puddle Lights, Footwell Lights, Door Markers, Handle Ambient Lights, Air Vent Illumination, Armrest Illumination, Roof Ambient Lights. Auto Dim Rear View Mirror, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Genuine 6 Disc CD Changer in Glovebox, RNSE, Remote Windows, Parrot Bluetooth, Storage Pack, Full Leather, Heated Mirrors.

3rd Gear

Status
    any pics of your dash trim pal?

6th Gear

Status
    I bought a load from a local sign maker, did my interior B7 and few other bits 7 it has stood the test of time

A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

1st Gear

Status
    Hi Macdoon, great job looks a quality top finish. I take it you needed to take out the panels to wrap!

1st Gear

Status
    Take a look on here. It's another forum I'm on from one of my old cars, have a thread for my Audi on there, shows my trims before and after done with that wrap
    Fiesta-Si.com • View topic - A4 Cabrio V6 TDI - Carbon Wrapped Trims & Painted Grills
    Full Interior Lighting Pack - Puddle Lights, Footwell Lights, Door Markers, Handle Ambient Lights, Air Vent Illumination, Armrest Illumination, Roof Ambient Lights. Auto Dim Rear View Mirror, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Genuine 6 Disc CD Changer in Glovebox, RNSE, Remote Windows, Parrot Bluetooth, Storage Pack, Full Leather, Heated Mirrors.

1st Gear

Status
    I've put a reply in your other thread but I recommend the KPMF Airelease carbon, half the price and still used by a lot of the professionals. I bought it purely as I didn't want to spend that much money out on a product I've never used before and expected would need replacing after my poor installation attempts! Link

Apparently there is another 3M product out there that they recommend for exterior use as the di-noc was intended for interior use. I think it's called the Series 1080 and has specifically been designed for car wrapping. I don't think it's quite as detailed as the Di-noc but haven't seen it to give a fair comparison. It is supposed to be easier to work with and last longer on the exterior (although from what I've seen, di-noc lasts pretty damn well!).

EDIT: Here you go, a quick comparison link between di-noc and Series 1080
    Last edited by Malfuss; 24th January 2013 at 13:59.
    Dolphin Grey B6 A4 Avant 1.9tdi

Mods so far: Allard EGR delete pipe, Shark remap, Bilstein B12 Sportline suspension

3rd Gear

Status
    hi pal just taken a look at the comparison and i dont like the expected life span, doesnt look good especially if white which i fancy doing!

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by glenandem View Post
    hi pal thats the size im looking at on ebay at the mo, thinking about doing interior bits and then front grills and got an sline front bumper to fit soon that i got off ebay for £50! so that grill might need doing too, do you think it would cover all that and if anything left maybe the chrome window trim but i think being an estate will need a lot more!
    Well I have done the insert in the rear sline bumper, all interior trim, a couple of trims under the bonnet, the chrome trim around the windows, the pillars and the bonnet on my mates VW transporter and I still have some left so I should imagine it would be enough.

1st Gear

Status
    Heres the photos of mine with the cheap stuff from ebay
    Before

Before and after

And finished

3rd Gear

Status
    for £7 im getting some ordered now!
    that looks spot on pal, is it black or dark grey, cant quite tell in pics also is it textured and did it stick well around edges?

1st Gear

Status
    Yup its black, sorry the pics are very poor taken from a very damaged phone! and yeah its textured, pretty much exactly the same finish as 3M stuff, yup it sticks well, the adhesive is great for cheap stuff, very workable with heat and surprisingly stretchy

3rd Gear

Status
    just ordered a sheet for £7, thats nothing!
    will put pics up when ive done it and put my review

1st Gear

Status
    How easy is the vinyl to get off after a few months or say if it's damaged faded etc, is it simply a case off getting the heat gun out and slowly peeling it off??

Is it a pain to clean the adhesive off or worse still can it damage paint work?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by robotplant View Post
    How easy is the vinyl to get off after a few months or say if it's damaged faded etc, is it simply a case off getting the heat gun out and slowly peeling it off??

Is it a pain to clean the adhesive off or worse still can it damage paint work?
    Hi pal I've never done interior trims but if its like outside vinyl I've used hot water or a hair dryer to heat it up and carefully pull it off then use tar and glue remover but not sure with using that stuff on interior trims as it can haze plastic!

Reverse Gear

Status
    When removing wrap of body parts as long as paint is good underneath its easy enough to remove
    I've pulled it off without use of dryer but it does come off in small pieces and rather annoying so would advise using a dryer
    i wasn't left with a lot of gunk underneath so used soapy water to remove
    However when i've pulled wrap off a car i brought because paint was poor underneath it pulled laquer off all over the bonnet

As for interior panels i used the 3m stuff on my subaru dash panels around 2 yrs ago then around 3 mths ago i fancied a change so pulled it all off , the panels were all in tact with no discolouring or fading

1st Gear

Status
    As said it won't damage anything aslong as what you are applying it to is in good condition. If you apply it to a badly painted car it will pull the paint off, just the same as jet washing a car.

1st Gear

Status
    Looking forward to seeing some pics
    Dolphin Grey B6 A4 Avant 1.9tdi

Mods so far: Allard EGR delete pipe, Shark remap, Bilstein B12 Sportline suspension

3rd Gear

Status
    ok guys.got the £7 roll in the post yesterday and set to work last night, kept having to tell myself it was only £7 as it wasnt the best to work with and i couldnt get it to stretch great, i dont think its supposed to stretch like the more expensive vinyl but for £7 it did the job and i got it to wrap quite well, the only bits i struggled with was the corners where it creases and no matter how mcuh i tried to stretch it it wouldnt go great but heres some pics and for £7 to do your dash i'd recommend it but not for exterior use, i dont think it would hold up to it!
    dash1.jpgdash2.jpgdash3.jpgdash4.jpgdash5.jpgdash6.jpgdash7.jpg

2nd Gear

Status

I think that looks awesome.

3rd Gear

Status
    cheers mate, for £7 inc postage you really cant argue with that, i used the wifes hairdryer on the backs to make the vinyl extra tacky but i did it last night and put it all back in the dark and this morning getting in, it just seemed so different, amazing how that can make it so much more good looking rather than the old silver aluminium trim!
    the main thing i struggled with was remembering which way the carbon weave pattern run and even managed to match the pattern with the front ashtray and gearstick surround, onto the front s line bumper now!