AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

2.5TDI Temp Gauge Problem

Hello, My temp gauge in my A4 has been playing up for nearly 3 months now. First off it was hitting 90 degrees and then dropping all the way to 50 then to 90 then 70 then 90 and so on. I Put this down to the CTS being faulty so i changed that. After changing the CTS it still wasn't cured completely, it would raise to in between 70 and 90 but since this cold weather has come along its been sitting at 70 or just below 70. So i thought it was the thermostat being stuck open but one thing which is confusing me is that my heating is fine! I drive the car and after about 2 mins I have warm air coming though the blowers and after about 10 mins I have scorching hot air coming out the blowers! I tested the heat of the air coming out of the blowers with a cheap thermometer and it was showing the temp while being set to HI as 80 degreesor there abouts. I also tested the water in my header tank and that was around the 85 degree mark.....so could this just be a faulty CTS again and the new one I bought was dodgy? VCDS shows the temp the same as what my gauge shows but if i unplug the CTS that sits at the top of the engine VCDS shows the temp alot lower for example, when plugged in it was showing 68 degrees, when I unplugged the CTS it showed 38 degrees....are there 2 CTS's on the 2.5 TDI? if so where is the second one? VCDS shows no faults with the car.
    Last edited by VagCabby; 16th January 2013 at 20:08.
    Audi A4 Cabriolet 2.5TDI 163 Sport
    Full Interior Lighting Pack - Puddle Lights, Footwell Lights, Door Markers, Handle Ambient Lights, Air Vent Illumination, Armrest Illumination, Roof Ambient Lights. Auto Dim Rear View Mirror, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Genuine 6 Disc CD Changer in Glovebox, RNSE, Remote Windows, Parrot Bluetooth, Storage Pack, Full Leather, Heated Mirrors.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Greeny233 On Twitter Add Greeny233 on Facebook Add Greeny233 on Google+ Visit Greeny233's Youtube Channel Visit Greeny233's Instagram Channel

For the price of a thermostat I'd try that next. I had the same problem with mine (heaters were still hot), changed the CTS first and no change, fitted new stat and it worked fine.
    After that if you still have a problem it could be the gauge.
    Chris "the machine" Green.
    2004 Audi A4 1.9tdi Sport Quattro Avant

6th Gear

Status
    Thermostat is a pain in the arse on the 2.5
    Atlas Grey A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport.
    Mods so far: Cruise control, DIS, Heated Mirrors, Tuning box, Xenonx, Centre Arm Rest, MFSW, RNS-E, SDS and Aero Wipers.
    To do: None yet.
    Next: Auto dip rearview mirror and Folding Mirrors.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook

Agreed, with new timing gear etc its typically £500.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah that's why I was hoping its not the thermostat due to it being a timing belt off job to change the damn thing! ,timing belt isn't due yet and in the middle of buying a house and getting married in April I didn't really want to have to Falk out for the timing belt just yet but I may have to l try a genuine CTS as the one I have is a cheapie and see how it goes! I very mechanicly minded, carried out engine conversions on my last 3 cars etc but I have never worked ion a v6 nor a diesel so abit weiry of doing the belts myself.
    Full Interior Lighting Pack - Puddle Lights, Footwell Lights, Door Markers, Handle Ambient Lights, Air Vent Illumination, Armrest Illumination, Roof Ambient Lights. Auto Dim Rear View Mirror, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Genuine 6 Disc CD Changer in Glovebox, RNSE, Remote Windows, Parrot Bluetooth, Storage Pack, Full Leather, Heated Mirrors.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    I'd definitely try a genuine CTS before doing anything else.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VagCabby View Post
    Yeah that's why I was hoping its not the thermostat due to it being a timing belt off job to change the damn thing! ,timing belt isn't due yet and in the middle of buying a house and getting married in April I didn't really want to have to Falk out for the timing belt just yet but I may have to l try a genuine CTS as the one I have is a cheapie and see how it goes! I very mechanicly minded, carried out engine conversions on my last 3 cars etc but I have never worked ion a v6 nor a diesel so abit weiry of doing the belts myself.
    I can change the thermostat for 100 + parts. You can get a cheap £6 part from Euro Car Parts or you can get a genuine audi one- about £28 including the seal... Based in N. London...
    Chris- 07789912128.
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

4th Gear

Status
    Cant see how it can be the stat if its warming up OK in this weather

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Cant see how it can be the stat if its warming up OK in this weather
    my thought exactly, going to try a new genuine CTS first before I think what to do next. Although don't diesels have some sort of electric heating which starts to heat your vents the moment the car is started to get the cabin warm in cold weather? I read it somewhere on the forum once.

cheers for the offer Adam. I'll see how things go but I think if it is the thermostat ill just get the timing belt done for piece of mind!