DIS and Cruise - Done

archemist

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I fitted DIS and Cruise over the weekend using the various guides (QJ's sticky, etc) but I noticed that there's a few gaps to catch one out.

One of the things that is rarely explained properly is the Pin 1 'earthing' or washer bottle problem. Pin I is on the dash multi-plug (the Blue one) behind the Tacho NOT the speedo as some guides say, (that's green).

There's a very good post here, by Fourcircle (about half-way down) that explains it in pictures:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...s-retro-fitted-but-button-blanks-display.html

However you DON'T want repair wire 000 979 133 (A, B or E) you need 000 979 009 for the dash plug. As that has a pin 1 female end on it already.

You can use a "twisted end" but for a couple of quid the repair wire is a better bet long-term.

There's a guide to all repair 'wires' here:

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentId=699152

Repair wire 000 979 133 (A) is for the washer sensor itself and you need one or two of these. (you can use one, halve it and splice an earth on one half and an extension to your pin 1 wire.

I managed to find a bargain brand new 'R' B7 SCCM and a complete stalk set from a B7 in as new condition.

If you are using a 2nd hand SCCM you'll need to use the learn VIN coding in VCDS. I've read that most (or a lot of) A4 B7's come with a highline module in them so it's worth looking for a 'breaker'. I'd already bought the new 'R' module (a really lucky find) but the stalk set I later found had all 3 stalks and a B7 slip ring and a 'Q' SCCM.

As Ross-Tech imply B7 modules are backwards compatible with B6.

Cruise Control Retrofitting (8E) - Ross-Tech Wiki

I didn't have to wire the SCCM to the Engine Control Module (I believe this was for early SCCM's). It worked once the engine was coded for cruise (adapted login)

I bought a complete standard cowl set for a tenner and being a tight git cut it to suit 'cruise':

p1a_zps56dfb5ef.jpg

You really need the indicator stalk off the car to do this accurately, to line them up and take the relevant measurements.

p1b2_zps54d65faf.jpg

Measure centre to centre of the two stalks and then a semi-circle about 19mm, i did it by 'eye' with a soft pencil!

I just drilled inside the outline and cut it out!

p2a2_zpsf8e3e5ca.jpg

p3_zpseabd5f53.jpg

File or dremel out the remainder and keep trying it. The cruise stalk actually needs to sit slightly lower than the 'arc' of the indicator cut out to allow the top and bottom cowls to fit tight together.

p5_zps52954201.jpg

30 minutes and saved about £25-30.

p6_zpsdcbea52d.jpg

pic6a_zps74bdfc7e.jpg

and in-situ:

pic8_zps7374a294.jpg

I'll extend this when I've sorted my pictures of the washer bottle sensor install.

Cheers And:thumbsup:

Last edited:
The DIS is something that I want to upgrade at some point, so this thread is just what I needed.

Archemist, thanks!! I'm fitting cruise tomorrow, and have had a look for a guide as to how to modify the steering wheel cowling as I too am tight :yes: I just need to pick up the two screws tomorrow morning for the cruise stalk.

Excellent write up, although it says some of your pics aren't available. Are these missing pics, or have you just changed links?

Thanks

The forum has always lacked a really good how-to for DIS install from start to finish! Thanks for adding to the missing bits, if you want to try and write a complete guide that would be very helpful, as it's probably the most asked question!

PS, a couple of the pics aren't working.

The forum has always lacked a really good how-to for DIS install from start to finish! Thanks for adding to the missing bits, if you want to try and write a complete guide that would be very helpful, as it's probably the most asked question!

PS, a couple of the pics aren't working.

i'll give it a go when i've chance james - hopefully pictures now working!

Yep, the extra pictures are working and perfect timing for me tomorrow! Cheers again mate.

I got my cruise fit today finally. I had another hold up in that I didn't have a torx t55 to remove the steering wheel, I thought I did...but clearly didn't ha!

All working fine, and the guide as to cutting the cowling was great. Cruise works a treat so far, I feel like I now have auto-pilot.

For anyone wondering, I have the 'Q' version of the SCCM, which I believe is from a B7 and it is working fine. Maybe one day i'll use the highline features and get me some steering wheel heating :uhm:

Thanks again for the guide!!

Last edited:
I luckily already had DIS, so just needed cruise and it set me back £75 for the stalk and module.

If I hadn't already got DIS I think i'd have done this a long time ago when i first got the car. The screen only showing 'miles to empty' would have done my head in!

I leave mine on that 95% of the time anyway!

Really? I always leave it on journey time. Rarely I flick to avg mpg to see how heavy my foot is, but the majority of the time it's on journey time.

I don't like the distance to empty, it gives me false hope. The first half of a tank it basically says i'll get over 600 miles, and the second half I am fighting a battle to get 500 these days. Last fill up was 430 miles :( Should have got a 2.5tdi or 1.8T!!

I'd like to fit cruise on mine. Already got DIS. It just seems that money and time never seem to coincide.....:(

I was the same Alan, it only took me 3 years to get round to it! I'm yet to fully experience it, i'll be popping on the motorway tomorrow to give it a proper trial run.