Gear knob surround removal.

Dogtown22

Reaction score
Need to remove the surround as all the soft touch its scratched to buggery. Does the gear knob unscrew then everything lifts over it???? Also need to get the front ashtray cover off if anyone knows how.

The nob is held on with a clamp.
The ashtray and gear surround just pop off. Pull the ashtray out first then the surround off after. There is a plastic bush that pushes on to the bottom of the nob. This releases the gaitor.

Ok thanks will have a go, not sure about the ashtray cover just popping off tho, isn't it on runners as it sort of opens up into/under the centre console??

Ahh spot on Andi thanks. So does the gear knob surround pop off without having to remove the knob and gator??

From what I remember of doing mine yes, I don't seem to ever remember taking me gear knob or gaitor off, but I've definitely had the surround off haha.

Great news chaps thanks. What about where the window switches are, how does that come off? Door card off???

I think the gaitor clips in to the bottom of the surround from memory.

pull the gaitor from the plastic
then pull the gear surround up
the ashtray has 2 8mm bolts holding it in
as above the gear know has a clamp holding it on.

Thanks bez, so pull the gator from the bottom up??

yes
then pull the surround the gaitor will fit throught the surround
and it will reveal the bolts holding the ashtray

no very easy

Gaitor clips in

Door switch surround is a door card off job.......not that hard really if hand with tools.

i took my door card off the other day it was easy but the one thing that did happen was i broke a few clips that hold the panel to the door but have been told this is common so for now i have put it all back together untill i get new clips but i have no problem with the door card holding on there with the remaining clips and screws