1.9tdi sticking turbo vanes - FIX with pics

Ollie-B

Rockin' Shnit
Reaction score
done this today and was blown away with the results - massive performace increase. im not saying this is how it should be done but this is how i done it, make sure your engine is cold first of all.

1) remove air box - remove air duct pipe, loosen jubilee clip to rubber hose, unplug air flow meter, remove bung that attaches top of airbox to wing, pull air box out the way (no pic)

2) remove 2x 12mm (m8) nuts holding bottom half of egr pipe to exhaust manifold (no pic but cant miss them)

3) loosen jubilee clip to rubber hose on rear of egr and remove 2x vaccum pipes from egr (no pic but cant miss them)

4) remove 6x 6mm allen head bolts from bottom of inlet manifold and pull manifold towards you being carful not to damage tin gasket to egr pipe or inlet manifold and be left with this;
8w03rl.jpg

5) take your rubber hose
2d4zkj.jpg

6) insert here
5ffb0i.jpg

7) make sure it goes down (not hard to do you can see and feel it go down, see above pics to see how far mine went in
hrhutf.jpg

8) next i swapped the top of the can for another that i could use an extension straw with
dgtr8h.jpg

9) the foam oven cleaner doesnt flow cleanly through the straw so what i had to do was tape the straw firmly to the rubber tube to force the foam into the turbo or this happens
28luw04.jpg

10) squirt in your oven cleaner until you see this (just peeping out of the top and not filling the manifold as you dont want this near you valves but it shouldnt cause no trouble)
5tyhy8.jpg

11) now i removed egr from manifold and started cleaning my manifold and egr to give it time to work (checked it half way through cleaning them and couldnt see any foam so gave it a top up and worked the actuator a little bit)
20j5yc1.jpg

25s3q0o.jpg

12) use a screwdriver or hard wire brush to scrape off as much carbon from the inside of the manifold as possible and shake it out then fill the manifold with petrol to loosen the carbon (should be left to soak and you dont have to use petrol it was all i had to hand, carb cleaner or anything similar will do) then once soaked for a while empty manifold of fuel and get back amongst it with your cleaning tool, repeat once more (you just want the manifold as clean as possible)

13) my egr wasnt so bad just had to clean the underside plunger a little bit

14) by the time you have cleaned your manifold the foam will have done its work

15) refit everything (shouldnt need to explain)

16) start engine - smokey exhast - hold revs about 2k for a few seconds until idles settles - take it for a good blast - DONE

i may have missed some points and will corect any errors i may have typed whe i read it back through, this worked wonders for me and hope it helps others too
wish i had taken more pics but when i get busy i just crack on and forget

you may also notice is some of the pics my inlet still attached when squirting the foam into turbo that is because i removed everything the long way with it being the first time ive done this (egr pipe first to get foam in then i decided to just take the inlet off and do that aswel) BUT i put it all back together as one unit so that is how i wrote the guide to take it off as one to cut the stripping time in half and its much easyer!

the guide looks long but it is a very very simple fix in terms of stripping and cleaning compared to some other jobs!

any questions just ask and i will answer as soon as i see the post :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Leandro_Menezes, kanecullen89, Allan DTi and 1 other person
Cool I had done the egr this morning !!
But could not find that dam mousse anywhere !!
So will do the rest other day ! Great read thanks

MR Muscle oven cleaner is what most people use. Leave it in for a couple hours if your VNT vanes are actually sticking & causing overboost, or you'll probably have to do it again in a few months time.

Yep trying to find foam oven cleaner is being hard work itself !
will keep look just a very clean egr . Makes the car go better

Did this today, outstanding results.

Thank you Ollie. I have been interested in doing this on my car for ages now - I have no overboost probs, but I think it's good preventative medicine or a car that's on 130k. I've seen guides on the B5 and not been happy enough to try it due to the different engine layouts. Your pictures are really helpful and I may just give it a go now!

Couple of questions:

The hole you put the tube down, is it a single pipe, or does it branch out... I don't want to inadvertently put the oven cleaner somewhere it shouldn't go!

moving the actuator on the turbo... how do I do that?

thanks

You cant go wrong with the pipe you can feel where its going, it can go right or down and you can feel it so no need to worry about that. As for moving the actuator i have some long nose pliers with a kick in the end that i could hook under ther rod. Bare in mine the rod has minimal movement you should only move it an inch or so. Dont try to force it. I could get my fingers onto it but it was a struggle as i have big hands lol thats why i used my pliers but any kind of small hook would do. Glad this is helping people :)

I did this at the weekend, as well as cleaning out the EGR which was filthy. However I couldn't move the actuator to loosen it up, as I couldn't get my hands under it and wasn't entirely sure what I was meant to be moving. Does this mean my Mr Muscle down the turbo was in vein or just not quite as effective as it could have been? Should I have another go and make sure I get something with a hook to move the actuator? Can't say I really want to go through it again...

Even without moving it youve probly got rid of most of the carbon causing it to stick in the first place i wouldnt worry about it unless you have a problem

Thanks for this, I've seen this fix in a few places but the pictures really help.
Just a tiny question... The actuator on my 2000 A3 has very, very little movement and I'm talking less than a 1/4 inch.
How much movement should I be looking for?

i have completed the task but despite the treatment and replacing all the the vacuum hoses it's still going in to limp mode about 80.
Quick flick of the ignition and it takes off again. Replaced the N95 and at a loss now.
VAG COM tool only has one fault code coming up and it's the dreaded over boost deviation thing.

Any help or comments welcomed.
Kevin

Mine did that when my nephew thought it was funny to swap my vaccum pipes around while i made a cuppa. Mine was the anti shudder valve pipe on the egr and the t piece underneath it where the wrong way round. Cant say why that would be your problem....

Mine is two fold:
The VAG COM is giving me a single fault code that relates to positive deviation.
The second is that the car enters limp mode every time I hit 80mph, it can be lower if the revs are higher.
Renewed the vacuum hoses...all of them, replaced to N18 and N75... Still hits 80 and goes into limp mode.
Quick flick of the ignition and it resets cuts out again at 105mph.

I can't get the pipe from the egr to the exhaust off, what would happen if I sprayed the oven cleaner down it??

Kyle
everything I've read suggests not doing it that way... I think the metal the pipe is made of will not take kindly to the chemicals in the foam. Also withe the pipe off your 100% sure to git the tube down into the turbo and not in through an out let port.
Mine was a pig too, 1 nut refused to budge... But a blow torch and a big set of mole grips fixed it .... Stick with it mate.

Ok just read your thread excellent stuff and very interesting,
I'm currently running a Darkside EGR delete kit with race pipe.
I used acetone to remove all the gunk from my manifold which was very effective .

I have a 2002 1.9TDI 130PD Avant my question is Does this car have the varivane turbo ???
several people have said differing answers so ???
cheers
Mr Tinx

Ok just read your thread excellent stuff and very interesting,
I'm currently running a Darkside EGR delete kit with race pipe.
I used acetone to remove all the gunk from my manifold which was very effective .

I have a 2002 1.9TDI 130PD Avant my question is Does this car have the varivane turbo ???
several people have said differing answers so ???
cheers
Mr Tinx

Yes, you have a VNT turbo so you can follow this guide

Thanks Audi Doodah,

that's that clarified , next stop oven cleaner !

:tumble:

Great stuff blast from the past resurrected to this weekends wee project :thumbs up:
Sorted out the engine temperature last weekend that's now spot on :arco: think the turbo needs a good cleaning out now :racer:

well currently waiting on the oven cleaner doing its thing :abnormal: had to drill out the blue bit from a wd40 spray lid (lost the straw) fitted a straw from a juice cup as was slightly bigger and taped the straw to the lid and the straw to the clear tube

I have cleaned the egr and manifold wow the crap that came out the egr was shocking!

My main problem was the foam never realised how quick it expands once the clear tube was removed was fishing it out just as quick as it was foaming out trying not to get too much in the manifold :livid:

20150404_172301_zpszr0mqzmv.jpg
the harder stuff that was removed mainly from egr with a small portion from the ends of the manifold. The flap in the egr would not move fully because of the gunk that was sitting in it

I dont understand why people do half a job when you can do it properly in one go and not be messing around with tins of oven cleaner in 3 months time. just remove the turbo and dismantle it. Clean properly with a wire brush and reassemble.
If you have the tools and ability to remove the intake manifold and EGR then the turbo is no more difficult.

Karl.

hey Karl totally agree with the turbo removal to fully clean I opted for this quick fix method as I am looking to replace the turbo when funds allow the audi is more responsive but probably due to removing all the crap that was built up in the egr and intake manifold