Poor headlights

cruisinbeatz

Reaction score
Hey all just got my a4 2001. And have found the headlights to be quite poor. I have a set of hid's but I've a notion they won't be much good. I had the same problem with a b5 passat. Anyone else got the same issue?

It is a problem mate yes my b5 passt tdi sport lights were crap I fitted a hid kit and they were great now I have a a56 plate a3 tdi s line and again the lights are poor and I here stories of hid kit burning wiper motors out on the a3 so I have fitted some ice white bulbs from user t8ups they are brighter I may consider a higher wattage bulb or hid in the future

I have HID's in mine as do a lot of others on here and they difference is night and day!

If you already have a set then fit them and see simple!

Hopefully for putting them in today. Will see how I get on, but I thought the whole point of these projector lights was to improve visibility no?

ive seen loads of kits on ebay so not sure what ones to get- can any one recommend a decent set to buy also is it just the head lights i should upgrade or shall i do the main beam as well cheers' tazzy

I had 6000k HIDs in my old car for a while. They looked after market and although the beam pattern was checked and found to be ok it still looked dazzling. I took them out in the end and got some Phillips Power Ones that were great. They were reflector headlights though, not projectors (I had to get bulbs with a shield over the tops, the first ones I got didn't have the shield and the beam pattern was wrong although I could tell no difference between the 2 from outside the car) so they may look better in projector lenses.

I tried them in my main beams and found they took a couple of seconds to warm up and then they were so bright the reflection off road signs bordered on dazzling!

One other thing to note is that HIDs without self levelling systems and headlamp washers will now fail MOTs under the new regulations.

I have HID's in mine as do a lot of others on here and they difference is night and day!

If you already have a set then fit them and see simple!

I had a set of 8000k Hids in a passat I had before, I didn't think the light of them was any better than a stanard 55w bulb ( I had them in place of the dipped beam)

The dipped beams on my A4 are terrible, I would not mind putting in a set of 4300k HID's if they would improve the dipped beam output,

The only I would have is radio signal, the HID's I had before interfered with the radio signal and my reception was useless after having the HID's fitted,

Is this still the case or have them improved them so they don't effect the radio signal now??

8000 are to blue I had 6000 and I was very pleased with them compared to the crap standard lights mine were projectors

I swapped my 6000k HID's to 4300k ones and the difference is noticeable, the 4300's are much better.

Yeh 4300 are the brightest white i think mate then the higher you go the more blue they look

4300k here too, absolutely love them. I wouldn't like them anymore blue at all.

And my radio signal is unaffected by the HID's. I had a brake error when I first put them in, but moved the ballast and not had a single problem since. Must have been in about 8 months or so now.

After getting blinded twice and almost crashing due to the lack of light from my standard halogens, I bit the bullet and fitted a set of 4300 HID's. Best mod I've ever done, the difference is like night and day. Just make sure you get them levelled correctly. That said, if you're worried about the MOT I've heard good things about Osram Nightbreakers.

Thanks for the replies guys, I still haven't gotten around to putting mine in yet, but i know they are 8000k. You recon go for 4300k? i really hope they are better than standard as they are unreal poor.

I know a couple of people running 8000k and they were too blue for me. 4300k is the whitest light, the higher the number the bluer they become. You should find your 8000k are still much brighter than the standard ones, I've never known such poor headlights, well, apart from the ones on my T4 but that's another story!

Last edited:
I had a set of 6000k in mine and they was terrible!

I now have 4300k and they are great...miles better then halogens

Just ordered my 4300k bulbs there, I already have the 50w ballasts so hopefully thy will be grand. On another note, what do yous guys use for your spot lights? As I see thy hardly light up the ground in front of them. lol.

Where did you get these 4300k hids ?
Are they local spares shop / halfords or eBay ? How much are they, my headlight bulb gone 2day so gotta purchase some replacements 2moro !

Any help appreciated lads

Are these plug & play ?
Any pics so I can see what we are talking about ?

Fitting guide ?
How hard were these to fit m8 ?
Considering am not thick but no genious with wiring etc

Depends on your ability. You need to take the headlights out (have a search, plenty of threads on this) then swap the bulbs and connect the ballasts in to the existing wiring. Then find somewhere to put the ballasts. I put mine up near the bulkhead tucked away under covers, but some people put them in the oem place under the headlight unit.

I done the same as above and put my ballasts near bulk head, they were to big for bottom of the headlight. Have to admit guys 4300 is the way to go, still not as bright as a headlight without projector but 1000x better than halogen and 6000k.