EBC Greenstuff pads.....???

Platinum70

Reaction score
Just had EBC greenstuff pads fitted to all round and depsite reassurance from the suppliers I do have a question.

I couldn't help but notice that the new EBC pads do not sit flat to the disks. They touch nearly towards the centre of the disk but have a gap at the back. The front ones are quite a bit thicker than the rear and are really wedge shaped. Has anyone else with these noticed this??

I am guessing it is some design benefit but any comments to ease my mind would be appreciated.

Thanks

Certainly not. I have been told that it is the design of the pads, and I really don't want to doubt the information. I just wondered if anyone else using these had noticed the same thing. I trust the garage that did them 100%, its just that it seems an odd design.

Thanks Pete.

Just seemed strange and thought I'd ask the question

I had my pads changed last month and noticed that, at first I thought the pads wern't seated properly but they stop fine so what the hell!

I know what you mean - it seems a crazy design but as you say they work. I've been very gentle with for 200 miles and have been told to do so for 500 miles.

Other then increased stopping power, what are the additional benefit of the EBC pads?

I need a brake pad that produces NO BRAKE DUST......!!!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you find some Dude do tell the world, won't you?

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/comeon.gif

Dustless pads are as close as the paperless office...which is as close as the paperless toilet!

[ QUOTE ]
Other then increased stopping power, what are the additional benefit of the EBC pads?

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran EBC Greenstuff pads on my Saab 9-5 Aeros in 2002 and 2003, both sets of pads fitted new from PDI.

The pads do produce dust, it is of a lighter grey colour than conventional disk pads compound residue though.

The best feature of Greenstuff pads is that they don't wear the disks themselves out. Overtime the disks become mirror smooth.

Your right you do get light grey dust, but it comes off with the hose.

I have run them very carefully for 500 miles and my only complaint is the squeaking noise. I hope this goes!!

[ QUOTE ]
my only complaint is the squeaking noise

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmmmmmm.... That sound a bit ominous Platinum. They shouldn't make any noise at all. It may go but if they still squeal after another few hundred miles I'd take it back and have the dealer apply an anti squeal compound to the back of the pads.

I thought Green Stuff were a fairly soft road pad (Not a hard disc ripping race pad) so they should be quiet.

BUB

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my only complaint is the squeaking noise

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmmmmmm.... That sound a bit ominous Platinum. They shouldn't make any noise at all. It may go but if they still squeal after another few hundred miles I'd take it back and have the dealer apply an anti squeal compound to the back of the pads.

I thought Green Stuff were a fairly soft road pad (Not a hard disc ripping race pad) so they should be quiet.

BUB

[/ QUOTE ]

Greenstuff pads are a Copper/Kevlar compound. Stock pads are some sort of carbon/steel flakes compound (Aramid?) and rip the disks to bits though provide good brake performance.

The true reason they are chamfered like that is to reduce noise. They do bed in easier too, but they are less noisy if they are lower on the edges of the pads. Also, a commong design improvement are pads that have a slot in the middle to to expell brake gases.

With Green stuff pads, does the car still monitor depth of material on the pad?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone??

No one?

Nope , I can assure you - there's no monitoring of the thickness - so better check when you send your car for servicing,

Had mine changed from stock abt 1 1/2 years ago - no problem except it squeals more - but happy with less and lighter dust which means I do not have to clean rims every other day.

cheers

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not 100% about the Greens, but I have Red Stuff at the front and these have the pad wear sensors.....

Doh...

OK then... now I'm confused!

I believe they do have wear sensors, seems to suggest that on the EBC site.

I am going to get some EBC Grooved discs and pads soon to do mine so will post when I know for sure!

Cheers!!

Take some pics while you're doing it mate...

Let us know if you come across any problems etc

I will do, I was having a poke around the other day and pretty confident the bolts on the back of the caliper are 7mm hex. (The 6mm was too small and the 8mm too big)

Also when taking the discs off the bolts on the back of the carrier need removing (i believe they are 17mm) which is a bitch apparently. (Got a rubber mallet to use on the wrench if I need it)

It's also worth noting that because the carrier bolts are under great torque load, you should buy new ones to put on (which i'm going to do soon).

I intend to have a poke around to understand what torque to use when fitting the carrier bolts and the caliper bolts back, probably going to go with what is stated in some audiworld.com articles.

I hope to be able to take plenty of pics and document what I used for everybody elses benefit.

I have a 2001 A4 1.9 TDi SE, B6 for reference.

Sweet. Good stuff mate. Good luck!