solid flywheel in 1.9 tdi

glenandem

Reaction score
anyone done a solid conversion to theyre 1.9 tdi, some guy told me not to bother as its a bad ride when done to the diesels and a lot more vibration?
any one with experience on this and if its true?

Just bumping this up as i never got any replys and need to sort a clutch and flywheel out soon and can get a solid kit for a dam site cheaper than dmf!

I would stick with a dual mass especially if 6 speed box, seen them fall apart with smf fitted.

Don't go solid flywheel mate. It won't do your gearbox much good in the longrun, plus the torsional vibrations will pee you right off. One of the purposes of a dmf is to iron these out and make things smoother.

I spoke to darkside developments about putting a SMF in my a4 And they said don't do it. They fitted one to an a4 and the cabin vibration was horrible. I guess if it's vibrating the cabin it can't be doing much good to the mechanics!! My DMF is on its way out too I'll be going for a like for like replacement

I have a TTV racing single mass flywheel and uprated rs4 clutch in a 1.9Tdi audi a4. There is shudder on idle especially when the engine is warm but no odd vibrations. Looking back i wish i went DMF as it's much smoother but it was the only way to get a stronger, bigger clutch on a 5 speed gearbox. By the way, it's not the flywheel that shudders is the gearbox vibrating, so far done 15k and no issues other than odd noise on idle. I would get a heavy flywheel if you decide to go single mass, it will dampen the firing pulses from the cylinders and cancel vibrations. I am planning to get a 6 speed gearbox and running gear from a v6 tdi quattro so i might swap the clutch when the box is out. Apart from the snatchy take off and idle shudder there are no ill effects in my case + i am running about 180Bhp and 400nm of torque ! When i bought the car the engine thrown a rod due to hydro lock, previous owner drove trough a puddle and rods got bent, it ran for another 1000 miles before trowing in the towel. The smart ar*e AA man came with his can of easy start and cranked the engine but, as it was seized it just removed a couple of tooth from the flywheel so i had a dilemma: spend 300 quid on a new DMF and fit the used 228mm clutch which looked new to me or use the Southbend clutch i had in my locker for a few years and get 240mm clutch ?! I went with the 2nd option !
DSCF5128.jpg

DSCF5127.jpg

DSCF5125.jpg

DSCF5124.jpg

DSCF5123.jpg

DSCF5121.jpg

DSCF5120.jpg

DSCF5119.jpg

DSCF5124.jpg

DSCN2335.jpg

DSCN2333.jpg

hi guys,think im gonna go like for like as ive read a few things about the vibration.
i really need to change it soon as i have a real bad vibration when letting the clutch out setting off and to combat this i have to slip the clutch and also when at speed anything over 30mph i can feel really bad vibrating through the car!
the only thing puzzling me is theres no real noise on idle and the idle isnt rough and finally when on the mway i dip the clutch and it doesnt make a difference but the vibration is always there at speed but comes and goes getting worse?

Ive covered 10k miles on my helix single mass flywheel and clutch conversion now, on a 1.9tdi 6speed.
There is a lot of noise on idle, vibes from the gears backlash in the gearbox i think, which is dampened out by the duel mass.
However, at just £140ish to replace the friction plate later, I was happy to trade off the noise. Clutch is a lot heavier than stock, but you get used to it. The car also has a remap and handles the extra tourque with ease.
This flywheel is very light, and very noticable on gear change, revs pick up much faster, but also drop faster too.
Mardi gras have dropped the price £200 since i bought mine, not impressed!

Ill try to get some piccys/video up at some point.

Adamss24, you look like you've done a fair bit of heavy duty work there.... if you were just changing the clutch and flywheel in one of these cars which would you say was easiest way ?? engine out or gearbox out ?? i can see me having to do 2 in the next 12 months or so, my sons FWD 1.9 Tdi and my Quattro 1.9 Tdi in the past on my old coupes i took the gearbox off from under the car with it up on ramps but those gearboxes are damn heavy when your on your own.... i'm guessing if you have access to a hoist then engine out might be the better way to go if your doing it on your own, things like the aircon would be a pain though having to get it all regassed.... what are your thoughts ??

I have a TTV racing single mass flywheel and uprated rs4 clutch in a 1.9Tdi audi a4. There is shudder on idle especially when the engine is warm but no odd vibrations. Looking back i wish i went DMF as it's much smoother but it was the only way to get a stronger, bigger clutch on a 5 speed gearbox. By the way, it's not the flywheel that shudders is the gearbox vibrating, so far done 15k and no issues other than odd noise on idle. I would get a heavy flywheel if you decide to go single mass, it will dampen the firing pulses from the cylinders and cancel vibrations. I am planning to get a 6 speed gearbox and running gear from a v6 tdi quattro so i might swap the clutch when the box is out. Apart from the snatchy take off and idle shudder there are no ill effects in my case + i am running about 180Bhp and 400nm of torque ! When i bought the car the engine thrown a rod due to hydro lock, previous owner drove trough a puddle and rods got bent, it ran for another 1000 miles before trowing in the towel. The smart ar*e AA man came with his can of easy start and cranked the engine but, as it was seized it just removed a couple of tooth from the flywheel so i had a dilemma: spend 300 quid on a new DMF and fit the used 228mm clutch which looked new to me or use the Southbend clutch i had in my locker for a few years and get 240mm clutch ?! I went with the 2nd option !
DSCF5128.jpg

DSCF5127.jpg

DSCF5125.jpg

DSCF5124.jpg

DSCF5123.jpg

DSCF5121.jpg

DSCF5120.jpg

DSCF5119.jpg

DSCF5124.jpg

DSCN2335.jpg

DSCN2333.jpg
Hi Adam do I need any special tools to do this job. Also do you have any workshop manuals for this job.

I have replied to your question via a PM... YOU don't Look too Confident to do yourself hence I will leave it to a pro mechanic. I have done hundreds of these jobs and I still get the odd one that have rounded off bolts in the flywheel or something is very right so it snaps on removal, unless you very confident I would just buy the parts and drop it to your usual garage...