help a rookie :D

///PESSO

Reaction score
Hey all, I joined this website after reading some of the topics and noticed that the guys who reply are extremely kind (I've been used with raging and flaming people)...and the other reason is that I couldn't find another EU website that uses English, I'm moving to Germany in February but my German is medium so I have a hard time understanding something from what I read on their forums.

Anyway, I'm going to buy an Audi A4 1.8T, no more then 100.000km on board and no more then 10.000 euros (I already found some very good ones in this price range, 8-10.000 euros).

1. First of all what should I be careful at when buying one? From previous experiences with cars bought from Germany, most of the second hand cars dealers are from Turkey and let's say the cars can have a lot of surprises even though they look and seem to be in a very good condition. I will see if I can bring a mechanic with me to look at the car before buying it but til then, I thought I should ask here.

2. After reading a bit on this forum, I saw the difference between Tiptronic and Multitronic and also noticed that the 1.8T Quattro version is pretty rare in EU...anyway, my question regarding the Automatic Gearbox, does it come with 5 or 6 gears? I didn't really saw anything related to the number of gears on the second hand cars websites...and I also don't want one with 5 gears:puke2:

I would also like some suggestions and help regarding different parts I wanna buy for the car but I will post about that a bit later.

Thanks and have a nice day

Most common issue with the 1.8T longitudinal engine is that the oil pickup strainer gets filled with sludge and doesn't suck up enough oil.

Probably worth checking to see if this has been seen to in the past / or get it done when you buy the car for peace of mind.

For 8-19k euors surely you would be looking for a b7?

1. Make sure the timing belt is done
  2. Listen for any strange noises coming from the turbo if there is don’t touch it
  3. Service history is key with regular Oil changes

thanks for replying :D

@ Alex and docurley, I'll make sure to follow your advices

@ Steve, I know I'm probably spending a little bit too much money on it but it's because I want this particular model. I know for 10 grand I have a lot of other options (like an almost brand new Passat fully loaded, Mazda RX8, Renault Megane RS etc) but I'm not interested. Oh, and regarding the B7, I on't really like it that much.

The thing I still don't get is why aren't there any 1.8T Quattro Versions or S-Line?...I would sure love to get the S-Line Version just because of that 190bhp engine and the Quattro System but I managed to find only 2. The first one ain't in a perfect condition and the second one is almost 12 grand. I mean it's like Audi is made in Australia and they are very rare in Germany. Maybe I haven't searched enough but I sure do know every A4 B6 (between 7.000 and 10.000 Euros) on Autoscout and Mobile.de