Squeaky wiper

pbarlow0032

Reaction score
Hi All, tried doing a search but couldn't find anything specific to the B6. I get an annoying squeak from the drivers side wiper every time it wipes. It's not the blade on the glass, seems to be the pivot point that its coming from. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did you fix it? Is it just a case of putting some WD40 on it, or is there more to it?

Thanks for any help

Hi QJ,
Not in the know enough to know the answerer unfortunately. It has done it pretty much since i got the car a few months back, but they seem to wipe at a normal speed. Can you elaborate please?

Cheers,
Paul

Basically m8 its the start of bad news were the wiper mechanism is seizing up in the unit itself you can strip it down and sand it down and degrease it if your clever with the tools....
It's the spindle itself inside the unit that needs re cleaning out.....

Ar5e - does anyone have any link to a DIY guide for fixing, or an estimate of the £ damage I should expect if I took it to a garage?

Thanks QJ, that's great! As ever you are a fountain of knowledge! Just reading through the other thread you linked to, a few people suggest using 3in1 spray as preventative short term fix? I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks this weekend so the car will be parked up for 2 weeks, I don't want to get back to my car at Manchester airport and have seized up wipers! Do you know if the 3 in 1 spray helps? Any idea where to spray it if so? I presume just pop the caps off the end of the spindles and spray in?

thanks very much for you help

No, you'll need to take the plenum cover off if you have one, and spray it into the pivot points of the wiper mechanism. Not the little knuckle joints, but the bit where the spindle rotates in the frame. It's probably worth spraying a water repellent in there to keep the water out. It's very much a short term solution though, and try and use the spray with the little red tube so you can aim it in there ok.