How to tell if cambelt done?

Johnjones

Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to know how to tell if the cambelt was done recently. The old owner said it was changed around 10k ago, but no proof. Can i visually tell? The fanbelt looks like it's new on the outside but the inner edge has small cracks in it or is that normal after 10k, .....Any ideas? Many thanks

fan belts nothing to do with it
but as above i look at it this way
no proof its not been done

Dont risk it just get it changed along with the waterpump. It will put your mind at rest.

unless its in the service manual or there is the sticker on the cam belt cover you have no way to check

I would get it done for peace of mind

And as above defo new water pump as well, for the price its silly not too, if the pump packs up a few miles later its all gotta come out again..

ok, will do...thanks for the advice! Anyone know a good reasonable garage near Bristol?

This is the exact reason i keep my bills for parts and take photo's whilst i do the job taking some with the bill for the parts sat on the stripped down engine.... i don't even trust service books anymore as they can be bought on ebay all stamped up for you... a few dated digital photo's goes much further imo....

As above, do it again for piece of mind ! Seen a few engines in my time with mangled heads due to messed up cambelt jobs or broken belts. With prices ever growing the bill will run into thousands, it's not worth-it !

IF the printing on the belt looks newish then that would be good enough for me but if you have never seen a cambelt before you may not know what to look for. You will obv need to remove the belt cover. Or take a photo and post here. IF you get a blank spot, crank the engine until you can see some print on the belt..

IF the printing on the belt looks newish then that would be good enough for me but if you have never seen a cambelt before you may not know what to look for. You will obv need to remove the belt cover. Or take a photo and post here. IF you get a blank spot, crank the engine until you can see some print on the belt..

Is it easy to take the cover off? Could you tell me how? Thanks

Yeah don't bother taking the chance, that's how to remove it...... Unless you want a £1000 bill when it trashes the head and valves.... I'd never advise anyone on a forum to check it by looking at the writing on the belt......... I'm sure if your asking how to remove the belt cover then your not competent to check the life of the belt anyhows... Sorry to sound harsh but when your in the trade and seen what damage they can do you'll understand