JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    madcustomer's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    8

    Red face Water collecting on rear door sill....

    Hi Folks,

    I have noticed that during the recent heavy down pours that we have had recently when I put my daughter into her car seat which is on rear passenger side, as I open the door there is a lot of water collecting on the door sill.

    The water isn't soaking the foot well, but I am a little worried that something is blocked or not draining properly.

    Any suggestions as to where I should be starting to look?

    Car is a 2004 A4 Avant 1.9tdi 130

    Thanks in advance

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    160
    Mine does it all the time. Maybe a coincidence but same door an all. But its never come through the inner door seal so not to bothered. But would be good to know what causes it.

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    202
    As long as water is sitting outside the door seal you should be ok. You will find water naturally runs down the window and inside the door and out the drains at the bottom. Also where water runs around the door it will sit here. Just due to it being a fairly large and flat area. Try popping some car wax/sealant on there to aid the water to bead and run off.

  5. #4
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    36
    window regulators cause this to happen take your door card off and seal halfway down all along the bottom and half way up the other side and this will stop your problem this is a known concern on the vag just make sure you use some good sealant and not ur cheap diy stuff

  6. #5
    madcustomer's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    8

    Water collecting on rear door sill....

    Thank you for the responses, I shall await the (dare I say it) dry weather and remove the door card for a closer look.

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by smiler2012 View Post
    window regulators cause this to happen take your door card off and seal halfway down all along the bottom and half way up the other side and this will stop your problem this is a known concern on the vag just make sure you use some good sealant and not ur cheap diy stuff
    Had a look on Audizine at a rear window regulator replacement guide and the window regs on the rear of the B6 are nothing like the regulators that suffer from leaking into the rear foot wells as happens on things like older Skoda Fabia's and Seat Leons there not the big one piece metal panel with the regulator and lock mechanism attached. Only thing the OP could check was the plastic/foam membrane is in one piece and fitted correctly and check the drains are unblocked
    Quote Originally Posted by madcustomer View Post
    Thank you for the responses, I shall await the (dare I say it) dry weather and remove the door card for a closer look.
    Before you start stripping down doors where is the water exactly sitting? on the plastic trim inside the door seal or on the metalwork outside the door seal which forms top part of the sill? if it's the latter mine does this too all I have done is put some car wax/sealant onto it to help the water bead and run off.

  8. #7
    madcustomer's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    8

    Water collecting on rear door sill....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian-83 View Post
    Had a look on Audizine at a rear window regulator replacement guide and the window regs on the rear of the B6 are nothing like the regulators that suffer from leaking into the rear foot wells as happens on things like older Skoda Fabia's and Seat Leons there not the big one piece metal panel with the regulator and lock mechanism attached. Only thing the OP could check was the plastic/foam membrane is in one piece and fitted correctly and check the drains are unblocked
    Before you start stripping down doors where is the water exactly sitting? on the plastic trim inside the door seal or on the metalwork outside the door seal which forms top part of the sill? if it's the latter mine does this too all I have done is put some car wax/sealant onto it to help the water bead and run off.
    It's more trapped water on the plastic trim, as the door is opened any water drains down the bodywork and onto the floor.
    If I get chance I will try to get a pic/video.
    I guess as others have stated its not leaking into the footwell, more of an annoying issue.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Water leak into rear footwell
    By AndyMac in forum A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th November 2005, 17:45
  2. rear door cards
    By dgannon69 in forum In-Car Entertainment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13th November 2005, 17:53
  3. Electric windows on rear doors part of option pack
    By TDI in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 4th November 2005, 09:10
  4. Facelift Door Sill Protectors
    By madkebab in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10th May 2005, 10:14
  5. Rear Door Speakers in 3 Door (Query for AndyMac)
    By mspah in forum In-Car Entertainment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 3rd January 2005, 12:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO