Water collecting on rear door sill....

madcustomer

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have noticed that during the recent heavy down pours that we have had recently when I put my daughter into her car seat which is on rear passenger side, as I open the door there is a lot of water collecting on the door sill.

The water isn't soaking the foot well, but I am a little worried that something is blocked or not draining properly.

Any suggestions as to where I should be starting to look?

Car is a 2004 A4 Avant 1.9tdi 130

Thanks in advance :)

Mine does it all the time. Maybe a coincidence but same door an all. But its never come through the inner door seal so not to bothered. But would be good to know what causes it.

As long as water is sitting outside the door seal you should be ok. You will find water naturally runs down the window and inside the door and out the drains at the bottom. Also where water runs around the door it will sit here. Just due to it being a fairly large and flat area. Try popping some car wax/sealant on there to aid the water to bead and run off.

window regulators cause this to happen take your door card off and seal halfway down all along the bottom and half way up the other side and this will stop your problem this is a known concern on the vag just make sure you use some good sealant and not ur cheap diy stuff

Thank you for the responses, I shall await the (dare I say it) dry weather and remove the door card for a closer look.

window regulators cause this to happen take your door card off and seal halfway down all along the bottom and half way up the other side and this will stop your problem this is a known concern on the vag just make sure you use some good sealant and not ur cheap diy stuff
Had a look on Audizine at a rear window regulator replacement guide and the window regs on the rear of the B6 are nothing like the regulators that suffer from leaking into the rear foot wells as happens on things like older Skoda Fabia's and Seat Leons there not the big one piece metal panel with the regulator and lock mechanism attached. Only thing the OP could check was the plastic/foam membrane is in one piece and fitted correctly and check the drains are unblocked
Thank you for the responses, I shall await the (dare I say it) dry weather and remove the door card for a closer look.
Before you start stripping down doors where is the water exactly sitting? on the plastic trim inside the door seal or on the metalwork outside the door seal which forms top part of the sill? if it's the latter mine does this too all I have done is put some car wax/sealant onto it to help the water bead and run off.

Had a look on Audizine at a rear window regulator replacement guide and the window regs on the rear of the B6 are nothing like the regulators that suffer from leaking into the rear foot wells as happens on things like older Skoda Fabia's and Seat Leons there not the big one piece metal panel with the regulator and lock mechanism attached. Only thing the OP could check was the plastic/foam membrane is in one piece and fitted correctly and check the drains are unblocked
Before you start stripping down doors where is the water exactly sitting? on the plastic trim inside the door seal or on the metalwork outside the door seal which forms top part of the sill? if it's the latter mine does this too all I have done is put some car wax/sealant onto it to help the water bead and run off.

It's more trapped water on the plastic trim, as the door is opened any water drains down the bodywork and onto the floor.
If I get chance I will try to get a pic/video.
I guess as others have stated its not leaking into the footwell, more of an annoying issue.