S4 engine mounting

• Thread starter imported_timwiti
  • Start date
I

imported_timwiti

What sort of noise would a faulty engine mounting make?

When test driving the S4 I thought it sounded like the front offside wheel bearing was rumbling excessively. (I also noticed a faint different noise when engaging the clutch at low speeds)

I guess tyre noise will be worse with 18" tyres over 17 but there was certainly more noise from the front offside which can't be right?

I mentioned this to the salesman and he called a mechanic over who suggested it could be the engine mounting. He said it was a common fault on S4?
But from previous experiance these guys talk a load of s*&t.

It hasn't had its 100point check yet so they will look into it then.

I love you to resolve this as I have and I know a few others who have the " front offside wheel bearing... rumbling excessively".

Everytime mines in I ask and am always told its not a problem as is perfectly normal. Please push them on this. If an engine mount solves it then you'll make lots of people happy!!

indeed; but you do have to accept that the S4 is quite noisy. Wheel bearing can be found be finding a clear road, and at about 40,cornering left, then right (swerving). If the noise gets more, then it could be the bearing. If it makes not difference, welcome to S4 ownership!..
I have driven about 4 different s4's, some brand new demos, and 'they are all a bit like that' imo !.

[ QUOTE ]
indeed; but you do have to accept that the S4 is quite noisy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I accept that it is but I don't accept that it should be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

True enough.... and I think you are right...
One of the minor downsides is that the car is quite harsh on those days when we are feeling a bit... ahem... fragile..!

I just take my A4 when I feel like that...