Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    2nd Gear

Status

Well I've wired my fog/DRL's so they come on when unlocking

Was board today finished all my christmas shopping so popped into work and set about wiring up my next mod, Ive done this mod to previous cars and always liked it so thought id treat the A4 to the same treatment.

I originally wanted to tap into the power I needed to activate the circuit at source the ccm but after finding out its hidden in the foot well under the carpet and inside a water proof box I decided I would see about tapping in at the dome light and it was here i came up against my first problem due to it being a CAN BUS system it wasn't straight forward, i wanted to pick up the switched 12v power but the 12v power never actually turns fully off for some reason, when there's not 12v going up the wire there's 4.4v and this is enough power to mess things up wiring it through a relay as the relay dosen't shut off unless it goes lower than 4.4v, i then found that the earth is also switched so i ended up using this to activate a relay which then send a fused power source to my DRL circuit..... simple

It all went fairly smoothly the only thing i cant get around is when unlocking the LED bulbs flash a split second before coming on i did try it using standard halogen bulbs and it didn't do it so im guessing its something to do with the way LED's work .

Here's a quick vid of them working:

Remote activation of my fogs rewired as LED DRL's - YouTube

The way I've wired it up means i get no back feed issues when using the interior light of the drls independent of each other, they also switch on once you shut the car off and remove the key from the ignition and stay on till you exit and lock or till the interior light goes out

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status

Re: Well I've wired my fog/DRL's so they come on when unlocking

Excellent looks like it works a treat

So what parts do we need? Any chance you can do a quick guide?

Turbo Sport

Status

Well I've wired my fog/DRL's so they come on when unlocking

Very smart mate looks really smart am well impressed
    I bought a convertable in the wettest country in the world who says Scotsmen dont have a sense of humour !

"Lets fire up the Quattro" DCI Gene hunt,,,,,,,ashes to ashes

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks guy's

I'll do a how to with diagrams when i get a min, my install was a half done already because when i rewired my fogs to make them my DRL's I did it using a standard 5 pin relay instead of a 4 pin because i knew i would carry out this mod at some point and using a 5 pin makes it very easy keeping the normal DRL circuit and the auto turn on when unlocking circuit separate so there is no back feed issues at all while using the 1 relay.

In the how to I'll write it up running the stock fogs running as fogs.

2nd Gear

Status
    Here's a quick wiring diagram showing how to get your stock fogs coming on when unlocking:

you need to wire it through 2 relays so that the circuit can be isolated when the ignition is switched on other wise if only the 4 pin relay is used you would have a problem that if the interior light is switched on while driving the fogs would come on too, so wire it as ive described.

For the ignition switched power you can tap into the wire i used when doing my DRL conversion, This one as it becomes live when the ignition is switched on, grey and red wire multiplug is behind the n/s headlight

You will need to fit diodes into the power wires to each fog to stop back feed issues and so it wont upset the bulb out warning system ( I've had to wire these up this way for a friend on his 3 series E46 for this reason it works a treat) i didn't have to use them on my install as i had rewired mine to run as DRL's so i didn't have this issue

here's the diodes what i have from previous wire ups:

I bought them from maplins there the 1N4001S

www.maplin.co.uk/1a-silicon-rectifiers-46385

By fitting these's they only allow power to travel in one direction down the wire thus curing back feed issues

Think that's everything if ive missed something or somethings not clear let me know

2nd Gear

Status
    for some reason i cant get the maplins link to work so you will need to cut and paste to check them out

3rd Gear

Status
    So if you are sat in the car and manually switch on the internal lights, do your fogs come on with it?
    Last edited by Inertiauk; 22nd December 2012 at 21:44.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
    Driving a 2004 B6 Audi S4 - Stage 2

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

2nd Gear

Status
    Not when the ignition is on and if you use the front map lights when ignition is off no the fogs wont come on.

5th Gear

Status
    I like this.... do you have a link for what you replaced your standard fog light bulbs for ??? and also what do you mean by the Dome light ??? is that the main interior light ?
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 666markyboy View Post
    I like this.... do you have a link for what you replaced your standard fog light bulbs for ??? and also what do you mean by the Dome light ??? is that the main interior light ?
    Here's the bulbs i used:

H11 XENON WHITE HIGH POWER 7.5W CANBUS LED CAR FOG LIGHT LED BULBS (pair) | eBay

Even though they say there say there CANBUS you will still need a set of these to stop the warning coming up on the dash, dead simple to fit:

UK STOCK 2x LED bulb TURN signal Light Load Resistor 50W 6OHM Fix Error Flash | eBay

Yep the dome light im referring to is the main interior light, when you open up the light there's 4 bulbs 2 little 5w sidelight bulbs and 2 big 10w festoon bulbs and its 1 of these the big ones you need to come off the earth side of the bulb this can be found with a multimeter but mine was the rear (side of the bulb closer to the rear of the car) i came off.

Loving the anonymity

Status
    Which relays are you using? Do they have a diode between 86-85? I'd have thought pins 85 and 86 (of the 4-pin relay) should have been the other way around if there was a diode present inside the relay. I was just looking at the circuit and trying to figure out what happens and was a little confused.

2nd Gear

Status
    No, it's just standard 12v 4 pin relay there's no built in diode so it makes no difference which way you wire those two terminals, you just need to fit 2 diode 1 in each wire between pin 87 and the fog lights.

Loving the anonymity

Status
    Ah, i see! Now it makes sense then, haha! I was looking at it from the perspective of having an inbuilt diode! :D Nice little post-christmas project me thinks. I'll get it working first, and then get some led fogs no doubt.

Thanks for the guide though, i love it! The setup works perfect too, with how they copy the interior light etc for turning on/off, but still allow you to use it independently. Very clever dude!

4th Gear

Status
    thithis posspossible with the headlights??
    Torque the Torque

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by V6 Quatt View Post
    thithis posspossible with the headlights??
    Yep you would just need to tap into the live side of any bulb you want it to activate.

Loving the anonymity

Status
    I'm confused again dude! :D

Those diodes are spec'd to 1A average fwd rectified current, when the fogs are on will they not draw a lot more current then 1A?

Vorsprung durch Technik

Status

Re: Well I've wired my fog/DRL's so they come on when unlocking

Thanks for this mod, its really cool! I have added this to the list! Unfortunately I don't have any stores close by! Would these do the same job? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-1N4006-...E:L:OC:GB:3160

Thanks

A4 B8 2.0TDI S-Line Executive

Reverse Gear

Status
    I am wanting to wire my aftermarket DRL headlights so that they come on with the ignition switch. Would I use the same diagram and wiring points that you listed or should I be using different ones? Thanks for the help!