four beeps on start up.....alarm siren battery?

haytch75

Reaction score
I got the four beeps warning when I started the car this morning, I have started the car a few times since without any beeps. Searching on this fantastic forum it sounds like the alarm siren battery backup is the issue. I've seen a few posts in the A3 forum suggesting a new unit from Audi is something like £183! and also seen a very good "how to" convert the existing unit to normal AA batteries.
A few questions:-
1. What are the consequences of ignoring it? Does it link to the immobiliser and will it stop me from starting the car at some point?
2. I dont trust myself (or have the time) to replace the unit myself, has anyone had this replaced by an indi/dealer and if so what was the total cost?
I understand that labour rates vary but a ball-park number would help me decide how I prioritise other work on the car.
Thanks in advance.

Does it show the brake warning symbol also if so most say its your battery dying not the alarm siren battery...

If the beeps are quieter and from the boot then it's probably the siren batteries. But as Mark says, if they're from the dash and accompanied by the red ! mark it's low voltage at the ABS pump. You often see that when starting on a cold morning, and it's usually the sign the battery isn't as strong as it once was.

Thanks chaps. No brake warning light so it's most likely to be the siren battery. The main battery is only about 18 months old too. There's no fault codes either.

The batteries gave up the ghost in my siren, when I dismantled it to replace the batteries I found they had leaked and screwed up some tracks on the PCB.. great... anyway its still not fitted and doesn't affect the car really, apart from the alarm making no sound of coarse, and the LED in the door saying there is an alarm fault....

Mine done 4 beep and brakes code!
So is this a sign that it needs replacing or as its freezing with snow=cold.
Any spec on the battery i need and prices,easy job id of thought?

Mine done 4 beep and brakes code!
So is this a sign that it needs replacing or as its freezing with snow=cold.
Any spec on the battery i need and prices,easy job id of thought?

Mine did it quite often last year when it was freezing but it's only done it once this year and I'm still on the same battery. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: deano1978
I'd agree really, as long as the car turns over and fires willingly enough.

It's not a difficult job, but the battery is quite weighty and you need to lift it out of the bulkhead.

I have recently started getting the 4 beeps from the boot on start up after being left overnight. I phoned TPS to ask for a price on a new battery backup for the alarm siren and they couldn't find what I was asking for.

Does anybody have a part number for this?

Thanks

I think you will find that the battery pack is not aknackeredeperately you have to buy the complete unit, it seems that you may have to dismantle your existing unit and replace the battery pack with rechargeable AA batteries.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/genera...a4-b6-alarm-siren-replace-nimh-batteries.html

Oh right, thanks. Most threads I read people said the batteries had leaked and knackered the unit so they had to replace the battery back-up unit. So you think you are only able to buy the whole alarm set-up? Another option would be to switch to an aftermarket alarm if it can't be repaired I suppose.

Two of these in series would also work and would be a lot cheaper. I assume they would fit in the case as there seems to be room.

18555 Cordless Phone Rechargeable Battery Pack 3 Cells 3.6V 280mAh Ni-Cd | eBay

Also two of these in series look to be pretty much the same thing.

Battery pack NiMH 3.6 V 140 mAh | eBay

A 7.2v battery the same size as linked to earlier slightly cheaper but a good quality Varta cell.

VARTA - 55615306059 - Battery Nimh 6Cell 7.2V 150Mah | eBay

A 3.6V Varta cell which is half of the battery above. but a lot cheaper for 2 of them.

VARTA 55615603059 BATTERY MEMPAC PCB NIMH 3CELL 3.6V 150mAH 150H RECHARGEABLE | eBay

I would probably go with 2 of the above.

Karl.