The 'Econ' button...

Dogtown22

Reaction score
Would I be right in thinking that aslong as the light on this button is 'on' the aircon is 'off'???

As already said, yes you would be right.

And if the temp is below 5 deg C, the electric PTC heater will not cut in either, so the interior will take longer to warm up.
Not sure what the heater is rated at but it pulls a fair amount of current..

regarding the econ button....
dont use it!
just use the normal climate control as the clutch on the air con is prone to failing and then your just left with econ only as it wont turn off!

Regarding the PTC heater, I believe these are only fitted to the derv burners..
Not sure what the difference is anyway if left on? mines always on..

Excuse my ignorance... a PTC heater?

PTC heater is an electronic heater in the heater box, most commonly fitted to new diesels as a diesel engine takes longer to warm up compared to a petrol due to it's thermal efficiency.

As for the ECON but it doesn't totally turn off the AC compressor as the compressors don't have a clutch like older AC compressors there constantly driven all the ECON button does it reduce the compressors working load down to about 5-10% as modern AC systems are designed to constantly run to keep the oil in the system moving and lubricating the seals and moving parts to reduce leakage of the system and keep it within EU limits of 4 grams of gas a year.

ok then! so, out of curiosity then, when somebodies econ button is permanently on and wont turn off, what is at fault or normally at fault in that instance?

It could be a number of things

No or low gas faulty sensor etc

If the econ light won't go off get it scanned first

ok will bare that in mind!
mine is ok by the way, i was awlays under the impression from reading posts on here never to use it and just stick to using the auto climate settings! which i do! just in case!

Ah thought you was having problems!

I always leave mine on auto its so efficient you don't notice any gain having it off!

ok then! so, out of curiosity then, when somebodies econ button is permanently on and wont turn off, what is at fault or normally at fault in that instance?

As Stu_M said it's most likely to be low gas level - leak somewhere probably condenser stone damage. But only way to be sure would be to get the codes read and also pressures in the system checked with an air con service machine hooked up.

The old style clutch compressors went out with the B5 model I think and the older a3's due to the EU laws changing. Manufactures had to rework how the systems worked to keep the system constantly pumping the gas around and carrying the lubricating oils with it to stop systems getting leaks at the joins.

I only know all this as I work for VW and recently did the training course on AC/Climate control systems and we went through all the differences.