smell of fuel in and around car when pulled to a stop...

tboy

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just come back from a road trip down to Venice and back- I must have covered 3000 miles in a few weeks. Since I've been back I've noticed a strong smell of diesel in the car when ever I've pulled to a stop, and also outside the car towards the rear. I'm a bit concerned to say the least- anyone experienced something similar before?

Cheers,
T.

I had the very same problem with my 2001 1.8T, there was always a smell of petrol, it was as if I forgot to refit the petrol cap. It turned out to be a cover in the boot, I think it allows acess to the fuel gauge sensor, some of the fixing screws had worked loose and it was allowing fumes to rise into the passenger compartment. Hope this helps. By the way you remove the false floor which covers the spare wheel well, there should be a small cover with 3 or 4 screws holding it in place, in the right hand side of the boot if my memory serves me correct.
Good Luck.

that'll be the fuel pump access cover. I know 'cos I had to have the RAC out a couple of months ago as the car had conked out. It turned out to be a faulty relay to the fuel pump, but the guy still checked out the pump. Maybe he left the screws loose. I'll check it out. Cheers!
T,