Chris NottAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

Fitting a sony head unit in a factory A$

Looking change the Audi chorus tape deck in my A4 for a sony headunit I've got, I've ordered the facia and removal tools so far, is there anything else I will need???

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    A length of wire and a Scotlock to wire in a switched live from the fusebox.

5th Gear

Status
    and one of these to power your aerial amp

12V Amplified Car Aerial Booster Adapter FM, AM Antenna | eBay

make sure it has the right connectors though as this is just an example

1st Gear

Status
    Well I tried it today but with no joy.

After I took the chourus out I fitted the plugs (2 out of the 3 as I'm guessing one is for multichanger)to my sony and nothing. I then swapped the red and yellow wires round (I'd read somewhere that you need to do this) then the sony untit sounded like it does when its ejecting a disk but then nothing again. I didnt try switching it on with the engine running, I just had the ignition on.

Any Ideas????

1st Gear

Status
    Have you wired in the switched live from the fusebox? I sound like you haven't.
    One feed is permanent live (goes into the +12v)
    The other one is switched live, Audi's don't have them so you have to wire that up yourself.

Do a search on here as there are numerous posts with numerous people attempting to install aftermarket car stereos to Audi's without researching before they commit to the install.

1st Gear

Status
    Ahh I see, no I didnt, I just thought that would be so your stations/settings didnt reset, I never realised that would be needed to turn i on. The only reason I'm changing it is because the buttons on my chorus are all worn and I looks abit shabby, looked at buying another off flebay but to my amazement they're £150!

5th Gear

Status
    If you dont put a switched live on you need to send power down the memory circuit and the switched live circuit on the head unit wiring and turn it on and off manually

there is a thin wire that runs to the ignition that is switched live and stays on till you remove the key you would need to run a feed from that to a relay and feed the relay from the fuse box or battery...fuse box is easier then battery

1st Gear

Status
    Hmm think I'll stick to the factory unit!

5th Gear

Status
    Its really easy to do and well worth it your almost there already!

1st Gear

Status
    So would I need to buy a relay stu??

5th Gear

Status
    yes just a standard 4 pin relay will do an inline fuse too

if you dont know how to wire a relay heres a pic

1st Gear

Status
    Many thanks stu. Could I not just splice a wire into this switched live and into the red wire that comes out the back of my headuint??

5th Gear

Status
    No the switched live from the ignition is only a really thin wire and cant handle the current for the radio it will overheat/melt and pose a fire risk

there is other switched lives on the fuse box where you can take a feed from straight to the head unit but will just go straight off with the ignition and not stay on with the key in like OE...I dont know what feed you would need for this though

1st Gear

Status
    Yes you can do it that way, doing it this way means that when you switch off your ignition, after a few seconds your head unit will switch off.

Using a relay means the head unit will switch off when you pull your key out, just like your factory head unit.

It would sound like option 1 would be easier for you seeing as you're almost there already.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stu_m View Post
    No the switched live from the ignition is only a really thin wire and cant handle the current for the radio it will overheat/melt and pose a fire risk

there is other switched lives on the fuse box where you can take a feed from straight to the head unit but will just go straight off with the ignition and not stay on with the key in like OE...I dont know what feed you would need for this though
    Right mate, well a fire risk is a no no, hopefully someone will be along to say about another switched live, I'm not fussed if the stereo only turns on with the ignition on, I'm old skool!

5th Gear

Status
    Have you not got a multimeter? if not pop to halfords and buy one they are only cheap and worth their weight in gold

then have a poke around and you will soon find a switched live

1st Gear

Status
    Dont own on Stu but there is one at work, will have a poke about!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogtown22 View Post
    Right mate, well a fire risk is a no no, hopefully someone will be along to say about another switched live, I'm not fussed if the stereo only turns on with the ignition on, I'm old skool!

Sorry, I should've made myself clear with my post, I was referring to the switched live cable from the fusebox, not the ignition.
    I can't remember of the top of my head which feed I tapped into. Use a 12v tester or multimeter to find it, it's not hard to find.

6th Gear

Status

Fitting a sony head unit in a factory A$

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtown22 View Post
    Well I tried it today but with no joy.

After I took the chourus out I fitted the plugs (2 out of the 3 as I'm guessing one is for multichanger)to my sony and nothing. I then swapped the red and yellow wires round (I'd read somewhere that you need to do this) then the sony untit sounded like it does when its ejecting a disk but then nothing again. I didnt try switching it on with the engine running, I just had the ignition on.

Any Ideas????
    Ok the unit is getting power - press the power button on the stereo and see what happens.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A6CR View Post
    Ok the unit is getting power - press the power button on the stereo and see what happens.
    Yes did that.