S4 COSTS

stoakseya4

Reaction score
Hi all

Am after some advice from B6 S4 owners on their actual running costs.

Am considering biting the bullet early next year, and although the cost of the car itself shouldn't be too much of a problem (< £30k), I'd like to know what I'll be letting myself in for on the other costs, such as:

1. Day to day driving, fuel consumption ?
2. Service costs ?
3. Tyre wear and replacement costs ?

The usual stuff really...

Cheers!

Costs;

1/ Using about £45 of Optimax every week to get 220-250 miles, was £40 previously at 90.9 but price hike means a little more money. DIS averaging 23 mpg on a week involving urban (commuting) and motorway driving. On mototrway and country runs though typically 28 mpg and have gone 30+ mpg on road trips to the Highlands.

2/ Not been there yet, can't say

3/ I have approx. 4000 miles left in the original Continental's with 13,500 miles on the clock and 2 1/2 day track days under my belt using the same rubber. Replacing them with F1 GSD3's which cost £112 a tyre including balancing and valve which will last longer than the Conti's.

Only other cost is a Quart of oil every 5-8000 miles dependent on how enthusiastic you are with your driving and using the full range of the V8. £13 per quart plus you get one with the car (or should do).

In the end well worth making the conversion to the V8, having heaps of fun and a permanent smile on your face.

Cheers for that!

I love the 1.8T but just feel I want more all the time now !! I've just had a baby so the Avant helps out, if nothing else chucking the dog in the back. But when the nipper's a bit older hopefully I can manage with the saloon. There's a black S4 up the road from me, and I can stop looking at it !

I bet it sounds amazing...

Got anymore pix of it ? Have checked a/trader, and can pick them up at the mo for c£26k + which isn't too sad really (25k miles).

And if the mileage is mid 20's that aint too bad either...

Carl

I'll have to post pics later as I can't do it from work, our firewall restricts it.

Pics 7pm onwards.

Pics as promised

[image]
S4Pics010.jpg
[/image]

[image]
S4Pics008.jpg
[/image]

[image]
S4Pics007.jpg
[/image]

[image]
S4Pics4a.jpg
[/image]

[image]
S4Pics6a.jpg
[/image]

Hope this give you enough reason to go and buy one.

Fuel running around 18mpg.

Variable serving helps keep costs down but it's 9L of oil at a go!!

I've had the car since Easter '03 when it had 5.5k miles. It's now on 18k and I've changed tyres twice! The weight takes the fronts out when you do track days etc.

Apart from that costs have been good.

Have you been to drifting meets again on those track days ScoTTy?? Either that or I'm taking it too easy on my tyres on track days.

Then again, you do seem to have been to more circuits this year than me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Out of curiosity how much are your tyres setting you back because it seems there are wildly differing prices across the Uk for F1 GSD3's.

bbg you car looks superb mate!

What interior is it?

I dont think it has anything do to with the remap to be honest.....just the V8 4.2. I would dare say i get only a few more miles ontop of that and mine is not quattro and only 2 litre.

[ QUOTE ]
bbg you car looks superb mate!

What interior is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Went for the standard black 1/2 leather 1/2 cloth option with Alu trim. Used to have full leather in my S3 and heated leather made me feel like I have p /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gifd myself with the heaters on. Cloth is a little better and don't stick to them in the summer and actually looks fairly decent. I was worried that I should have gone for Nappa but not anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think it has anything do to with the remap to be honest.....just the V8 4.2. I would dare say i get only a few more miles ontop of that and mine is not quattro and only 2 litre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has a little to do with stage 3 as my mpg is a little better at 22-23 mpg and I don't have a light right foot, But the V8 does require a fair amount of juice, but it's worth it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Stage3 helps mpg as most chips do....UNLESS... you use the new found power. Tuning them is exactly that. You tune them up to make them more efficient and product more power. Of course they all have the ability to consume more juice but you then have the choice.

With regards tyres :
The conti's were killed during my first track day in the S4. I was deliberately overdriving the car, lifting off mid bend whilst in the middle of 4wheel drifts etc etc. I really wanted to learn how the car handled when I went past the limit as the next venue was the 'ring and I didn't want to learn anything "interesting" there!!

The Mich PS2s are actually still legal. They have about 3mm on them but dropping quite quickly. These are on my Avus wheels and used just on track.

The F1's are on my RS6 wheels and used for the road. I will be keeping them on for the 'ring next week as the weather is so unpredicatable there.

So in fairness I haven't totalled as many as it first appears....just nearly!!

The only F1's I've bought on this car are the current set. I got a deal with my wheels. All in (wheels, tyres, valves, fitting, balancing, VAT etc) all added up to around £800-850 I think. I got them from Rochford Tyres.

That's a canny deal on the RS6's plus tyres, respect.

I'm likely to be a little more careful now Optimax went up 4p a litre in one day. Gutted!!

I wouldn't mind but I went past the same staion at lunchtime at 95.9 and thought 'should I get some now.... nah I'll wait until on the way home'.

DOH!!

B/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gifd Government and t /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gift Bush

Sorry, I digress from the thread, but had to get it off my chest.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and isnt the solar sunroof ace!...

[/ QUOTE ]

Top banana, much better than having a cabrio and cheaper too!

How are you getting on with your S4 nowadays??

Loving it... Getting a good 26MPG on my weekly run to Bristol so no complaints on the running costs as I was getting about the same from the 3.2 A3.
Are you getting more BHP out of your AAS system?..

I'm not sure on the actual BHP gains if any as I haven't put it on a rolling road, but low and mid range pick up seem to be a lot better, acceleration has improved and its a bit more torquey as well, plus an increase in fuel economy. Best of all it's a lot more vocal when warmed up but quiet enough first thing in the morning not to have a lynch mob in the street wanting my blood for waking them up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

Stuart, the guy who fitted it also installed cross over pipes after the CATS so he reckons a stock 8-10% hike in BHP is typical with the V8 systems he fits... fine by me!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

It's not see through glass from the inside as it has a cloth backing to it. Also if you look at it from outside it will look like a solar panel.

One last thing, when you switch the engine off after 30 seconds the air recirc. system will start up automatically.

What's this I hear about supermarket fuel ? Again perhaps not the right thread, but someone mentioned to steer clear...?

Is this just the fact that it's cheaper, therefore not as clean ?

wrong thread really, but generally they have less cleaning agents in and none I know do superplus or optimax (98 RON) fuel so its not good for most Audi's other than the 1.6 !

Took an S4 out for a spin on Saturday.
I can see what all the fuss is about now! My my...

Just got to convince the missus that we ought to spend another £10k!

Although a bitter pill to swallow with pump prices rising all the time !

I've got an S4 cab & average just over 22mpg (down as low as 11 in town). Haven;t yet had it serviced (only 13k miles on the clock), but front tyres will need replacing soon, and that's without any track days (about 2mm left). Rears have about 4mm left. I've had a quote each for £149 for Conti Sport Contacts

I'd get Mich PS2's, Goodyear F1's or Toyo R's if I was you.

Not sure of the point your making. They are cheaper but and not so good. PS2's and F1's trounce the CSC2s in my opinion (and many others). If you work out the pence per mile of tyres you'll see the cost is minimal compared with the amound of fuel or depreciation. Therefore go for the best you can....at least that's the way I see it. With all the S4 power and technology, why compromise it with these tyres?

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure of the point your making. They are cheaper but and not so good. PS2's and F1's trounce the CSC2s in my opinion (and many others). If you work out the pence per mile of tyres you'll see the cost is minimal compared with the amound of fuel or depreciation. Therefore go for the best you can....at least that's the way I see it. With all the S4 power and technology, why compromise it with these tyres?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, changing mine top F1 GSD3's once I've done a run to London newt week/end and have a quote for £115 per comer from a local independent. They have much better grip, dry and significantly in the wet, quieter and last longer than Conti's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I agree Pilot sports are better than a lot of the tyres including conti's but the contatct2 is not as bad as the original contact1's and has had some good reviews.
I had a side by side comparisson of Pilot sports and conti's on my old Boxster for track days and the Pilots are softer and more grippy, they also have a bit more flex in the sidewall so you dont suddenly lose traction whilst cornering fast.
Conti's were ok, and ok in the wet also actually. Not tried F1's.

I actually have Vredsteins on the front put on by the last owner/main squeeler so tyre wise its a bit of a miss match right now.

Interesting. Maybe it's the different weights but I found the PS2s better for turn in etc which I put down to the apparent stiffer sidewalls than the Contact2s

Hi all,
i know you've tried most of the performance tyre's but has anyone tried the Cooper's, i've a set on mine, ok its an oil burner and i've not the bhp of you guys but i really push my car, i've tried F1's and conties and these tyres match them easly!

I just had 2 F1's GSD3's on my Quattro 225/40/18's and they were a bargain at £115 each fitted. If you're anywhere in the South just tell the local HiQ you've had a quote from Micheldever Tyres. I seem to remember HiQ are owned by Goodyear.

Coopers for my S4 : "AUDI S4 Sedan, Avant Wagon, Cabriolet

We do not have a tire to fit your vehicle in this brand. Please refer to the Tire Selector in one of our other brands."