1.8T Crankcase breather fitment problems

Veero

Reaction score
So yesterday I embarked on changing the elbow pipe that breaks on all VAG 1.8T engines. The old one came out after about an hour in about 50 pieces, the hoover made sure all wreckage was removed.

Went to fit the replacement which is a Febi Bilstein part and it simply would not fit properly in the hole in the oil filter assembly for love nor money.

Basically I can't get it to fit far enough into the hole (no sniggering at the back there!) to engage the circlip through the slots in the housing. So it's essentially as it was before with the oil smell since the joint isn't sealed.

Has anyone else this issue? There just isn't quite enough space to get a vernier in to check the bores against the side of the pipe end.

Febi Bilstein any good? They seem to sell shed loads of aftermarket parts, can't believe it would be so wrong as to not fit properly.

yes i had this , the the brass inner insert might still left in with the outer plastic on ,its a tight fit , try and dig it out without the bits falling in the sump

Nope I extracted all the bits of the old one (I had to crush the metal insert slightly to get any purchase on it to pull it out) and popped the old o-ring out and cleaned it up. The o-ring itself was in good condition, still pliable, and to dimensional size so I reused it since the new pipe didn't come with one. I'll do a test fit tonight minus the o-ring but it was getting nowhere near deep enough for the o-ring to prevent it going further.

Thanks for the reply Byzan, I didn't think it could be so wildly out.

Ok so I tried fitting it last night without the o-ring or the other end fitted to the t piece and it wouldnt fit deep enough to engage the circlip. It just gets too tight.

Also its a topran part not a febi. Looks to be pretty cheesy quality, maybe its the wrong size.

Well it's a mystery then. It simply will not fit in the hole.

I have noticed a mark appearing on one particular point on the OD of the large end after several attempts at wiggling it in. Maybe the hole isn't quite round and since the plastic is rigid with a metal insert it won't just wedge in like most other plastic hoses.

Well maybe I had a Friday afternoon car or maybe the pipe was. It took dremelling a chamfer on the end of the pipe for it to fit. ******* thing.