Aluminium Ashtray cover removal...

I

imported_timcoupe

Hi all,

I have a replacement aluminium ashtray cover and am baffled how to get the old one off. I've managed to unclip to edge nearest the gearstick, but have no idea how I unclip the back bit. I have satnav & aircon, so there is absolutely no room for movement at the back.

Help much appreciated...

Tim.

It is not easy at all.
Ive fitted one to my A4 and I have the bigger storage gap behind because of no sat nav etc. I found the easyiest way was to remove the gear shift surround (this just pulls upwards). Then the ashtray has two screws to hold it in place which will be visible when you remove the shift surround. Then you pull out the electrical lead for the ashtray light. Then after a bit of persuasion the ashtray should come completely out. I had to do this because the aluminium ashtray is different underneath to the standard version. There are some plastic pieces underneath the aluminium version that need trimming. I did this with pliers. Becasue if you dont, the aluminium version actually is too thick with these plastic pieces and once fitted it will not open or close. After a bit of trimming and re-fitting you should be able to get it to fit perfectly and then it will open or close with no problems.

I'ven ot done it myself but the manual makes it look like a doddle :
a4_ashtray.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Removing Ashtray
- For manual transmission: Lever out shift cover upward and remove shifter boot Page 68-25 .
- With automatic transmission: Lever out shift cover upward Page 68-25 .
- Remove two bolts -2- at ashtray.
- Remove ashtray -1-.
- Disengage trim -3- from ashtray -1-.
- Unclip storage compartment trim -4-.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the response - I should be able to sort it out now...

Cheers!