Water in Avant boot lid

DALE_AVANT

Reaction score
Hi all.

There is water getting into my Avant boot lid that seems to have got there via the heavy rain we have had. When I raise the bootlid it drains away quickly. Water can also collect on the rear retractable cover over the boot space.

It is not due to the rear washer pipe as I have not used the rear water, any ideas anyone?

No idea but i have the same issue with my rear passenger side door...leaks into the car onto the seat and really fks me off!!! after heavy rain also. all the seals appear fine etc so i dont know I gave up looking and trying lol

I've got the same problem.. Looks very like the water is getting in thru' the seal on the high level brake light..
M

Surprised that no-one has had to do this job before :(

are you sure its not getting in round pollen filter under windscreen then traveling down vent to rear passenger footwell very comon fault with passat and a4

Hi there, sorry I've taken so long to reply.. I just replaced the whole light unit as mine had a few cracks and broken bits on the top side of the light.. As hard as I tried I couldn't remove the unit in one peice.. I would try some clear silicone round it to see if that solves the problem. If it does you then know the culprit.. Good luck.
M

are you sure its not getting in round pollen filter under windscreen then traveling down vent to rear passenger footwell very comon fault with passat and a4

Thanks for the reply but it's in the bootlid

I'd sit in the boot and get someone with a hose to soak the car and wait for it to start leaking. That'll show you where it's coming from.

Almost certainly the seal round the high level light - it's such a faff getting the rear trim off incidentally. I suggest using "dum dum" compound rather than silicon. It's a non setting, black sealant which is used on Land Rovers and other British cars in a variety of contexts. (Search "dum dum sealing compound"). It's generally used as a leak stopper - something all LR owners will be familiar with!

Take a blob, roll into a thin sausage, force into the gap. I've found an old credit card to be helpful, and the round corner helps give a smooth, neat finish. Clean residue with white spirit or turps.

I had a similar problem - this solved it. Dum dum is very useful for all sorts of other little jobs where you want a sealant which remains flexible and won't dry out / go hard and brittle.

Mike.

I was replacing my rear wiper arm today and it looks like I've found another possible source of the water ingress into the tailgate..after trying my rear wash wipe I noticed water coming out from the rear wiper motor.. Ill strip it out and see if I can find the source of the problem..
m

I reckon water must be coming in at a higher level on mine as it is dripping onto the rear parcel shelf, so I'm thinking the the high-level brake light might be allowing water in?

So, bootlid interior trim removed today and it looks as though water is coming in at the high level brake light. Having removed that and inspected, the seal on it looks pretty rubbish so will refit with some form of semi-permanent sealant. Can't seem to find dumdum anymore, anyone know of a suitable way of sealing the light unit that wont leave odd streaks down my car when it rains :think:

Hmm - it seems Dum Dum is no longer produced. Sorry about that - -