2003 1.9 TDi avant SE dampers

tbs

Reaction score
I've just bought this car and on b roads it does tend to bob up more on undulations than I would think normal. Its not bouncing but the rebound seems a bit too much. Whilst I realise its no sports set up riding quite high compared to a sport would new dampers sort this in your opinion and whilst I would like B6 bilsteins I really cant afford them so what cheaper option would suit this SE set up and give me a more composed ride.

How many miles has the car done?

Eibach springs come in under £200 and will drop the car 30mm or so, this alone will reduce body roll. Probably another £200 ish for some good dampers, and it would make sense to do them at the same time really while the suspension is in bits.

Change the pair, Or if it's bearable until you can afford a proper set up if that's what your after I'd wait .

High milage and carrying heavy loads will have a big factor in the condition of the shocks. Have you checked if they are leaking ?

the car has done 92,000 and there is no leaking yet from the dampers. The ride and cornering is generally ok its just it has a tendency on a straight road to pitch up a bit too much on the undulating b roads. Ive seen the routine for changing the front shocks and I can see why spring changes would also help but I'm going to run this car standard height but as stiff as i can get it. I drive down some bad roads for dog walks so I'm happy with a higher chassis. I've experienced Bilsteins on a heavy camper van and they do provide a load more stability but they are just far too expensive which is why I'm keen to find something cheaper but of a good quality. How resistant to a bump test is a normal audi B6 ie how easy is it to push the nose down and watch it dip and rise?

Keep searching eBay quite often sport shocks and spring set up on there, good way to go to keep OEM looks and be a far cheaper option other than that I fitted brand new sport shocks and h&r springs looked mint drove sweet sometime a little to firm but loads better around the twists and stuff