water / condensation inside windscreen (B6 A4 S4)

lincoln_dj

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

have had a quick search and can't find a great deal about this other than the usual blocked pollen filter & blocked battery drain holes.

Just wondered if either of those would cause the amount of water on my screen? It took a good 12-13 minutes to clear this morning with full blowers, ac on, etc. Can see this water freezing in the not-so-distant future. I'm loathe to wipe it off as you then get wipe marks until you clean the window properly...

So just wondering if this is as bad as other peoples and if so, did changing pollen filter or anything else cure it?

No comments from idiots telling me theirs is fine please - not had this issue in the last 14 years of driving so it's definitely the car and not how i drive or use the hvac!!! :)

pic...
condensation.jpg

Is it blowing on to the screen, looking at the picture I would expect the centre to clear first.
I had this with mine and the air distribution flap motors was stuck.
Think there's a how to on here somewhere to free up the motor.

I have the exact same issue my friend...

Awaiting to see if anyone replies with some good advice/tips :)

Is it blowing on to the screen, looking at the picture I would expect the centre to clear first.
I had this with mine and the air distribution flap motors was stuck.
Think there's a how to on here somewhere to free up the motor.

this is when I first come out to the car in a morning. if fully steamed up the centre does clear first as expected. Makes me wonder if the moisture lives under the centre vents somewhere... Air definitely comes out the centre vents.

I had this and so did my wifes mk5 Golf.

Changed the pollen filters in both and the problem disappeared completely. I was amazed at how clogged they were with mouldy green/grey stuff and could not have been changed in a while

Also is there water in the chamber below the car battery? If so make sure he rubber plugs are taken out so the water can drain out as they block all the time.

thanks guys i'll check near the battery. also getting oil n filter change next weekend so i'll get pollen filter too.

wahlstrom - which drain holes do I need to be checking?

All carpets etc are dry, although when I open rear offside door there is a little water on the sill plate (where the S4 ally plate is)

Had a similar problem on my b5, the bulkhead where the battery sits was about 3" deep in water! Battery out, stab around with a screw driver till you find a drain hole and unblock. It will all gush out under your car and form a big puddle!
I have similar issues with my rear window at the moment, very annoying first thing in the morning.

Drainholes under battery(you have to remove it to get to it) and beside the ecu.. Remove the rubber in the hole.. I had the battery bay half filled with water.. Had no water at the pollen filter, but it was close....

Audi and VW as the passat suffers the same now just remove the rubber grommets like what they did to mine. There was a revised part but that also suffers and they just take them out now.

Also check the ecu box the seals are also prown for leaking....

Air definitely comes out the centre vents.

Confirm you mean the centre dashboard/windscreen vent and not the centre face vents? (The one that comes on when you press the front windscreen demist button).

I'd check the evaporator drain is clear, if thats blocked then air will enter the HVAC system.

get yourself a dehumidifier once you have drained the plenum chamber around the battery and checked for leeks. A friend of mine who is an auto electrician uses one for cars which have been letting water in and causing electrical faults. It'll stop the misting up and you'll be surprised how much moisture it collects.

Mines the same, but no blocked drains, no water in the car at all, hvac drain clear all good.

Check flaps on aircon system under the dash to see if the centre vent flaps are in the wrong place and google search audi a4 plenum chamber for grommets issue . Cost me a new brake cylinders on my last A4 that issue,

Mine is worse then this! My full screen was covered and yesterday morning it had frozen on the inside. I had to do the dreaded thing of wiping it! :/. My pollen filter has been changed a week ago. And my plenum chamber is dry. And ideas?

It's that time of year again, come out from work and windscreen and passenger side windows all misted up

Same here, I'll be checking the points mentioned above. I had it very bad on the inside yesterday after work and would not ****** clear so I had to wipe it but a prompt visit to tesco for some screen wipes. I thought it was because I fitted wind deflectors on Sunday.

Under the battery and one more beside that one, you'll find them
Thanks. Have you got to remove the battery? And do you no what the little tube is that's on the pollen filter housing as I changed this the other day but can't figure it what the tube is? Thanks

Probably also a drain tube if it comes from the filter housing..
Unless you have very long fingers, yes remove the battery..
Just press out or grab the grommets and pull them out